Wii Fit

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Wii Fit

Post by Tanya in NY »

I can't say enough positive things about our new Wii Fit regarding my daughter Amber! She was just demonstrating how far she's come with strength building by doing the plank pushups on the Wii Fit and the balance dance yoga moves! She's moving the arm around and supporting more weight on it without complaint of pain and smiling while doing it! She's also playing some of the games (bowling, tennis, etc.) and they are getting the arm moving and strengthened, but the Wii Fit (yoga mostly) is amazing!

I'd highly recommend this for anyone with a BPI!

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 6 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Wii Fit

Post by Carolyn J »

Ohhhhhh YES INDEED. It's good therapy and I both NEED and WANT a Wii Fit for Christmas, ...SANTA ARE YOU LISTENING????!! ...yah, riiiight ;)
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I have Wii Fit and it's still in the box. Thanks for the information.
Once I finish with Cardiac Rehab this time... and can get some energy back,this sounds like a great way for me to build up some strength.
Got my fingers crossed, no more stents so I can start working out more. After 4 stents I should be in good shape to work out again.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Louise
Sending you a prayer for energy and strength. I look forward to having more energy and working out. But I never thought of my Wii Fit until Tanya posted.

(((((( Hug)))))) right back to you.

Happy new school year to Miss Elizabeth. What year is she in now?

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

just a warning about any kind of video games (including the Wii Fit) -- overuse stuff is very possible. Maia got it from holding the "thing" (controller?) with too much tension. I got her a "skin" for "it" to give her a better grip- but I do with that "it" was contained in a glove so that you wouldn't have to hold on to anything. I knew this going into it but didn't realize how fast it would actually affect her in a bad way. She got carpal tunnel issues from playing the Nintendo DS, too (unaffected hand) -- there's that response game called rhythm nation I believe and you have to hold the little "pointer thing" and tap the screen -- but it's tiny and you hold it with tension and it was a killer for her.

So my message is to do it for short spurts and to be aware of "holding" patterns that may cause too much tension here or there.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Oh goodness, over use from DS or Wii, Brandon would die....lol. He is constantly playing one or the other, not so bad now that there is homework. But Wii is awesome and his strength is INCREDIBLE !!!Time to get Wii fit for momma, time to shed those baby pounds...11 years later.

Carolyn,
Check out renting Wii from your local Blockbuster, they are not that espensive and might stop you from "FARKLEING" so much.....sorry I had to do it !!!
Love ya [[[[[[HUGS]]]]]
Gayle mom of Brandon 11 years old ROBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

HEE , hee Gayle! I NEVER would have thought of renting...sooo THANK YOU!!!!!!! :) :)
Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Carolyn,
Oh Yes, we rented our first to make sure tht it was okay for Brandon, and FYI we always rent our games first, that way, we can see what is actually appropriate first and what he can work with without getting frustrated !!!!
Jordansmom

Post by Jordansmom »

We don't have a WII Fit yet but Jordan plays my neighbors. Its great exercise and therapy!!! Go Amber!