Has anyone used Scarguard?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
ironmansmom

Has anyone used Scarguard?

Post by ironmansmom »

My son has 4 new scars from triangle tilt surgery and we have always used silicone scar patches in the past along with scar massage, has anyone used "Scarguard"? The silicone patches don't stay on an active 11 year old very good and he is back in PE class, having to change clothes in front of everyone and when I have to secure them with medical tape or band aids, they are pretty noticeable.

I read great testimonials on their website, but wanted to know if any "real people" have used it and if it worked.

Thanks in advance!
claudia

Re: Has anyone used Scarguard?

Post by claudia »

We did!

My daughter (not bpi) had a very deep nevis that had to be removed. It was on the front of her thigh, a very "active" place. We used ScarGuard and I think it helped keep the scar from being HUGE. She did it herself and didn't mind it at all.

It smells awful (like the worst nail polish) at first, but the smell dissipates quickly. I'd use it again.

good luck,
claudia
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Whatever you use during the day do not neglect the scar massage...It hurts like no other but is so important so that the layer do not stick together. Once the layers start to stick together movement become either painful or impossible. My last surgery scarred pretty bad and I did scar massage for a year but now almost two years later I am having to start again as its starting to stick again...UHG!

Good luck with those scars!
Amy 22 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Never used scarguard, but have used mederma on Amber's shoulder scars as well as when she fell and cut the skin between her nose and upper lip. Can barely tell any of the scars are there. Expensive, doesn't smell bad, and worked great!

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 6 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Allison-S

Post by Allison-S »

I haven't tried the Scarguard yet. I use Bio Oil for the scar on my nose. I had skin cancer a couple months ago and had to have a skin graft done on my nose. It's about the size of a quarter. Many people have commented on how well it has healed. I use it right before I go to bed.
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

We have used pretty much everything on the market in the past and stuff helped with other scars but not the one one his neck from primary. I even tried a homeopathic for scars. The homeopathic seemed to help his one scar a little but what we really noticed was he had increased hand movement so we didn't even think about the scarring inside being helped.
Anyway - back to Scarguard, we just started using it on Sunday.
He had a keloid removed about 3 years ago but it came back. So if this doesn't work we will probably consult with a plastic surgeon when Matthew is ready.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

incision scars are a funny thing

the incision scars I worked the hardest on (and spent lots of money on products) came out the worst

the incision scars I absolutely never touched (or cleaned and changed a bandage) because they were hidden in the unremovable splint for 3 months straight, came out almost completely invisible

so the next time we have a surgery - I'm not going to do a thing - that seems to be our best option

We did find out, however, that Maia was allergic to the suturing material. And I believe that the one scar that came out perfect didn't use the suturing material she was allergic to.
ironmansmom

Post by ironmansmom »

Francine,

It is funny that you mention that because the modquad scars, capsulodesis, and the primary look great and I don't think we concentrated on them so much. Maybe it is because he was younger then. The osteotomy one is ugly and the TT ones aren't much better.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

It occurred to me later on in hindsite that these incisions (on Maia) just shouldn't have been touched... too many germs - who knows.

Also - her drain hole in the armpit from mod quad was this tiny little drain hole that turned into a 1 1/2 inch keloid and we had that removed and there's no sign of it since... but I do know a couple of kids who had keloids removed and they came back even worse.

It's all about the immune system.
ironmansmom

Post by ironmansmom »

Dr Nath said to wait past puberty to have the scars revised, we asked him about the osteotomy scar when we went for TT.