Excessive Hungryness

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Marcie

Excessive Hungryness

Post by Marcie »

My daughter is always hungry. We can go out to eat and as soon as we get in the car she says "I'm hungry" Has anyone else experienced this with their child? I'm wondering if she is just trying to compensate for something missing.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Excessive Hungryness

Post by marieke »

Is she going through a growth spurt? I know when I was a kid I was always hungry too when I was about to grow some more.. My mom was surprised since I didn't eat much the rest of the time.

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Cole's Mommy

Post by Cole's Mommy »

My son does this, too (he's almost two)! As soon as he gets in the car he says "nack, nack (snack)", I think it is because that is how we transitioned him from his binki. The car was one of his "rough" times without his binki, so we would give him a snack...and now, I think we have created a bad habit!
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I don't believe she is not going through a growth spurt. She has done this ever since she could talk. She has gained 7 pounds in the last month. She eats all the time. I always have fruits and veges in the fridge and my kids are welcomed to help themselves, but her eating is all the time. She's a big girl for 5. I wondered if this was connected to the injury or if it was a chemical inbalance in the brain.
jill's mom

Post by jill's mom »

It can be a side effect of a medication but what worries me most is diabetes. You can feel insatiable thirst, and hunger. I would definitely talk to your doc asap. Could be thyroid also. I would rule out the medical before and look at the diet . If it is none of that maybe emotional and would probably consult a child psychologist. Sounds like too much weight can for a growth spurt.
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

Javier is also hungry A LOT. Was bordering on chubby for a while and with our family "traits", I don't want to take any chances. Well- we recently found out he has reflux and hunger isn't really hunger, but pain. He has been on Zantac for 3 weeks and has made a world of difference.

Marlyn mom to Javier 4 ROBPI
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Mckenzie has gone up a size or two since x-mas. She gets so mad when her pants button doesn't stay snapped. I feel that something just isn't right. The clothes that she has gotten from x-mas and her birthday, a month later, are fitting very very snug. I have some talking to the doctor to do.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

My children both have ADD.......and when their medicine stops working all they do is eat, I call and they change their medicines. If I would have known, I would have gotten them diagsnosed much earlier. They eat when they are bored. Gayle
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

It also could be a sign of emotional stress she is unable to tell you about...that's my 2 cents...

Carolyn J
LOBPI/70...sometimes bossy ;)

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Jordansmom

Post by Jordansmom »

I have three children, 20, 17, 10. My 10 YO son, Jordan, has a recurring BPI caused by a virus'. ALL of my children were always hungry. They are not ADD or ADHD and they are not diabetic. They are not overweight and are actually on the smaller to average sizes. I, too, am always hungry, have always been hungry and am average size. At least in our case, BPI has nothing to do with our need to always eat. Good luck!