TIngling on palm of hand after running

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

TIngling on palm of hand after running

Post by Tanya in NY »

Amber recently said that she's been experiencing "tingling on the palm of my hand when I run in the afternoon." This doesn't happen in the morning, but only in the afternoon, whether inside or outside. She says it "tingles like it is going to sleep." She says she shakes it to make it feel better, and then it does. Never experienced this before for her. She's experienced no pain ever with her injury. Her only surgery has been the ACR when she was 25 months old. She is a fast runner, but her arm doesn't really swing like her uninjured one does.

Anyone experience this before? Suggestions?

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 6 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
clearyaj

Re: TIngling on palm of hand after running

Post by clearyaj »

my right arm is very severely affected since birth. im 31 and have been an avid athlete since a young age. i have to say, i have experienced burning, aching, tingling, throbbing, pretty much every sensation possible in my affected arm. there isnt much rhyme or reason to it either.

none of these sensations have been harmful in any way, just the product of abnormal nerve activity. i get twitches sometimes and periodically cramps. i guess i just lay this info out for you to let you know that you are most likely at the begining of uncertain sensations rather than the end...but as always...we all make it through!

good luck to you and amber!

andy
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

Mstthew has never really complained of this. I treat him herbally on a regular basis with varied treatments that support nerve function. Not sure if this makes a difference or not but he has never complained of anything. His arm does not swing like the other one either but it moves a little, years ago he used to hold it straight in front of him so he kind of looked like superman flying, so at least some movement is better than no movement.
Cindy
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Tanya - it sounds to me that she might need some "postural coaching" for her running. What I mean is that someone like an Alexander Technique therapist should evaluate how she runs because what could be happening is that she's tightening something from the neck on down that may be causing some nerve compression. When I sit on the couch in this one position and move my neck to the slightest on the left side, my left hand goes tingling and numb. Switch my position the slightest and it's better. When our kids run they posture themselves to be able to run... when Maia runs she is hunched over and bent to one side... since your daughter is trying to run faster and faster she may be posturing and tightening in this one area a bit too much.. Make sense?
-francine
jquackenbush

Post by jquackenbush »

My son is 11 and he holds his arm in front of him and hunches to his side when he runs also. It has been frustrating for him because he loves to play soccer and would like to be faster. Also he has strained muscles in his back on his uninjured side when he runs the mile in gym. No tingling though.
Francine - What is the Alexander method?
Tanya - I live in the Corning area. How upstate are you?
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

I live about halfway between Utica and Cooperstown (where the Baseball Hall of Fame is).

Amber said today that her hand was tingling while waiting for the bus, so not during running this time. I've emailed her bpi doctor about it, but was just wondering if this is common for others (children and adults alike).

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 6 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

link to alexander technique
http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

I learned to do a couple of techniques when I did my pregnancy massage training course.

Then when I had a client in later years who played the flute in an orchestra and she had brachial plexus neuritis, and the AT helped her tremendously with her posture and the pain it produced from excess strain of playing the flute.

I have a friend who is a Suzuki teacher who uses it for her students.

It is postural training.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Tanya,
Tingling IScommon in our OBPI arms & hand. Like al of us adults, Amber is finding her own way "To shake it loose"...not to worry, Tingling an intermitent "lifetime occurance"for us OBPI-ers. Other adults have shared this many times on ususally "Sensual Intergration Dysfunction" Topic Thread.

Hugs all around, :)
Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI