pain after surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
KimZoe08

pain after surgery

Post by KimZoe08 »

Well, Zoe has now begun crying from pain. She had a nerve transfer in her hand. Has anyone else experienced this? She was doing fine and now she said it feels like she being stabbed with knives all over her arm. Is that the feeling comming back? Is that serious? Any suggestions would be greatly taken. We do have a call into her doctor too.
Thanks.
Kimberly
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: pain after surgery

Post by marieke »

It's neuropathic pain. Common to have with nerve damage and/or recovery. Motrin won't help, as everyday pain meds do not affect neuro pain. If it is really bad and she cannot handle it as her doctor for something specific just for nerve pain.

I am not sure what kids can use/dosage, but Neurontin is a common drug for this.

Glad she is getting some feeling back, though wish it wasn't that feeling! Hopefully it will get better and not continue to be painful.

Marieke 32, LOBPI
RN
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Kimberly - you may want to try something like Hylands Nerve Tonic - it's a homeopathic remedy that you can get in a place like Whole Foods or online. Hylands makes a lot of homeopathic remedies that are used from birth to death. It's a very trusted company. When Maia was a baby I used their teething remedy and stomach remedy....

http://www.vitacost.com/Hylands-Nerve-T ... tname_link
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

Hi,
There's also a couple of herbal option if you're interested in that route let me know (Besides being a bpi mom I'm a naturopathic doctor so I can help that way also :-) . Right now I'm treating someone for nerve pain in her foot and she has had improvement.