Sunscreen for babies with eczema?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Sunscreen for babies with eczema?

Post by mamaofsix »

Hello, after reading the story about Maia and Brittany I want to make sure my son always wears sunscreen outdoors. He has really bad eczema, can anyone recommend a good sunscreen for babies with eczema?

We used some prescribed hydrocortizone cream yesterday and it broke his eczema out even worse, especially right behind his neck. It broke my heart because he couldn't reach the location to scratch it and he had a fit! I wiped the cream off and applied a cool towel and that relieved it.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Sunscreen for babies with eczema?

Post by F-Litz »

Maia always had bad eczema until recently actually.

The sunscreen we use is Alba Botanicals - KIDS
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... atid=12101

But the thing that got rid of Maia's eczema in an unbelievable two days is the homeopathic remedy
Silicea 6x
http://www.vitasprings.com/silicea-6x-5 ... lands.html
I wish I had known about this years ago. The silicea got rid of all the eczema on her back (and it was really bad) in two doses. It was HUGE surprise because we were taking it for something totally different (hair thinning) (yes, Maia had some hair thinning in the bang area of her head and it seemed to be spreading). And in two doses it completely cleared up the last 1 1/2 months of eczema on her back that was so bad it was almost becoming infected. two days and brand new baby skin...
and honestly, I bet that silicea had a lot to do with her healing so nicely from the burn, too but that's just a hypothesis.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Fran,
Can you tell me if the Silicea is ok to use for people with autoimmune disorders? I know Echinecea is not good for that, but can't find if Silicea is or not. I would like to try it as well.

Marieke 32, LOBPI and Transverse Myelitis
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

My son Brayden has exzema real bad also. My doctor prescribed something called Elidel it worked good for him. He also has a prescribed hydrocortizone cream it works sometimes. Brayden seems to be always scratching behind his head also. I use Aveeno sun screen for babies with an spf of 55 on him. I use alot of Aveeno products for babies on him, because they are espeacially help exzema irritation. I hope this helps.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Marieke, it is because I found out about it from the alopecia community which is all about auto immune. I bought it originally for my eldest daughter Adena who now has alopecia totalis. I have a different type of alopecia and now Maia is beginning to display some signs of it as well. So we are all taking silicia.

Marieke you can INSTANTLY stop a remedy if you want it out of your system. Purchase something with camphor. One smell of camphor and it is gone. Remember that homeopathy is vibrational medicine -- it is EXTREMELY dilute so you are not getting the poison part - you are only getting the vibrational part and camphor is so strong that it immediately wipes it out. I think something like noxema has camphor in it so get a tiny jar of it and one sniff and poof!

When I first started with homeopathy my physician didn't understand why my remedies weren't "sticking". It was because I was using OLBAS massage oil for my massage clients and it had the same aromatics equivalents of camphor. I was wiping it out every single time I did a massage!

-francine
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

Elidel comes with a lot of risk. Maia used to use Elidel when she was younger until she got a violent case of molluscum contagiosum - she had 700 lesions that we had to e-stim off her body - it took over a month to rid her of them. Elidel makes you high risk for viruses like that and chicken pox so we threw it out and never again used it. Read the insert.
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Fran,

How old was Maia when she started taking it?
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

We just learned about Silicea last month and we bought it for a different purpose. But in June is when Maia starts having terrible eczema and it starts with my birthday. Lou and Maia make me this fruit dessert (it's just every kind of fruit they can buy, cut up) for my birthday and from that moment on Maia has terrible eczema on her back and hands. (You'd think it would be a deterrant for this dessert but my husband is kinda slow at things.... cheesecake or tiramisu would work fine!!ya know???sheeesh! hahaha) Anyway her back was really bad...itchy, alligator skin, flaking, even some areas where infection was beginning.... horrible. So I put sunscreen on her back every day and of course I see what it's like.... and she took one dose of silicea on a wednesday, 2nd dose on a thursday and friday she asked me to scratch her back in her eczema zone....and I was shocked... it was 100% cleared up and the skin was like baby bottom skin - smooth as silk. Her hands and her feet were also cleared up.

So about homeopathy- Maia has been taking classical homeopathy since she was born. For teething I gave her Hylands teething remedy. For gas - she got Hylands... Hylands is a very well established homeopathic remedy company.

She had cortisone cream... she had elidel for a year.... she had lots of things. Elidel worked well but it came at a very high risk. Corsisone cream didn't work that well but that, too came at an even higher risk (I have an adrenal problems from steroid use as a child).

BTW - Maia no longer carries an epi pen for bee stings - she carries a litle blue tube of homeopathic APIS.

You can read more about homeopathy and this particular remedy at ABC homeopathy on line.

Homeopathy is a very worthwhile study. You can learn about it online - you can even take online beginner courses very inexpensively.
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

Fran, would you recomend that for a 15 month old? I use hyrdrocoritzone on Brayden, but it seem to take forever for him to clear up. I would love to try to see how that works for him.
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

steroids are way more risky than any homeopathic remedy

like I said further up in the post- maia had homeopthic remedies since she was born