please can you help me

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Isla

please can you help me

Post by Isla »

I am not sure quite how to ask this but any response would be greatly appreciated. I am a student studying Product Design in Scotland and I am currently designing for people with your condition. I would like to hear from you, your views on computer input devices eg keyboards and trackerballs. Do you have any complaints or have found any faults about current products already on the market ? Is there anything you would like to see incourporated into these products eg exercises to help you strengthen your weeker muscles ? Any feedback would be fantastic whether it is positive or negative. You can contact me either through here or by email, you can get me on islamarieturnbull@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Isla
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: please can you help me

Post by hope16_05 »

If you could design something ergonomic thats actually cheap that would be amazing! THere are some pretty awesom keyboards and mice out there but the trouble it they are all so expensive!

My biggest trouble is switching keyboards as I type one handed and when the keyboards are different sizes, the spacing of the keys is different which screws me up bad!
Also a shift key in the middle might be nice, its quite the rech to get the shift key and the key you are going for if you type one handed. Just a thought.

Good luck with your project!
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I use both hands to type, and have adapted my own way of moving the injured hand on that side of the keyboard.

I don't have much strength however, so the hand gets tired easily. The ability to assign level of touch to the individual keys would be helpful making the injured hand's keys more sensitive to touch, while the uninjured one would be normal. That way only a light touch would be enough.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for thinking of our community for your project.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

all sneakers to have a velcro model available. and for fisher price toys to be available for left handed kids.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I think this person is only looking for computer/keyboard info, how to make that better, not toys and shoes.. though that would be nice too!

Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com