Canadian support groups

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
cwinter

Canadian support groups

Post by cwinter »

I am in Newfoundland and I am looking for a canadian support group. My daughter is has Klumpke's in her left arm from a rough birth.

Please email me if you know of any...

thanks!
Charmaine
allie's mom

Re: Canadian support groups

Post by allie's mom »

hi, i am from vancouver,bc. my daughter has erb's palsy in her left arm, she has come a long way. I searched alot for a support group in my area or even close too me, and i came up short. only by chance i met a mom with a newborn son with the same injury and we get together often. Don't give up, keep looking. I think the problem is, everything is so confidential. barely anyone has heard of erb's palsy unless affected by it or knows of someone. so just get the word out. anyway, if you ever need to talk my e-mail courtneygowitt@shaw.ca
Mica

Post by Mica »

Hi Charmaine,

On the adult OBPI board, you will find a young woman (31) named Marieke who lives in Canada. She will probably be a great resource for you in knowing about Canadian support groups. She is also extremely sweet and quite knowledgable about OBPI, as she not only has the injury herself, but is a second-year nursing student, who also has PT experience.

Good luck finding support in your area, and welcome to the board here! :)

mica
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Hi Mica, thanks for the sweet words.
Yes, I am 31, in nursing school, have a PT degree and a Child Studies degree.. yeah, I like school. LOL. But in nursing I have found what I LOVE!

As far as support groups in Canada, honestly I have never seen/heard of any. I myself have only met one other girl with an OBPI.

I am in Montreal, Qc.
Feel free to email me/post.
Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Vanda Roseboom

Post by Vanda Roseboom »

Hi there, Vanda Roseboom mom to Richard, 15 year old with robpi.
We are in Calgary Alberta , but there isn't much for support groups around here either, glad you found this group as it has been very helpful to Rich and I, we learned alot here and have met some very dear friends through this network and going to one of the picnics.
brie's mom

Post by brie's mom »

Hi Vanda
My daughter is 13 and we also live in Calgary. My name is Laurie. I do recall seeing your name. Do you see Angela (P.T.) at Children's? I'd welcome hearing from anyone else in Calgary. My contact is tlvanderwal@shaw.ca
Vanda Roseboom

Post by Vanda Roseboom »

Hi we see angela off and on - email me vroseboom@platinum.ca . It's funny you should ask about support groups as Angela had asked me if I would think about heading one up in Calgary, but I am better one on one I don't have the incredible networking and organizational skills that some of these amazing people in our community have so no I never took it on.

Did your daughter take dance lessons at crossings dance studio a couple years ago ,? I think she may have been in my daughter's class as my daughter is 13 and there was a girl in her class that I thought likely had a bpi but I never said anything to the family because I didn't want the girl to feel like she stood out- but those of us with injured kids notice the little things that show a shoulder injury.