Trouble with writing should I worry?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
GAmom

Trouble with writing should I worry?

Post by GAmom »

Hey all;

My son who is 3 is in K3 at school and they are learning to write their name. However, last night during homework I noticed that he was using both hands to do so. He uses his left hand to write on the left side and the right (BPI arm) on the right side. Should I be worried that he is doing this? They call it ambidextrous when they are able to do that. But should he decide which one to use?? I am just concerned that he will have trouble next year in K4. I talked to his teacher and she wasn't too concerned. But you know as a mommy I worry. Just wondering if any other moms have seen this and their insight on it. Thanks!

Ashley, mom to Brayden 3yrs GA
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Trouble with writing should I worry?

Post by marieke »

At 3 it's normal for them to still be deciding which hand to use, for writing, eating, whatever the activity... At 4 they start using one more than the other and by the time they are actually writing their name age 4-5 they have chosen one hand over the other.

Don't worry about it, I taught pre-K and nursery school for 4 years and saw this every year!

Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

My son writes with both hands....not like yours, writing one side with one hand and the other side with the other, but I wouldn't stress to much over it, I am sure he will make up his mind. Brandon is ROBPI and writes lefty but can write righty if needed. GAYLE
emos mom

Post by emos mom »

hello, Keep this in mind the older he gets Emersen used his bp arm to hold the pencil and used his right hand to move the left hand to write. I guess he wanted to be left handed but it didn't work so he used the right hand to make it work. Now that he is in 7th grade he can't write very well, in 3rd grade we had him tested for ot in school and they wrote a 504 accomidation for him. If the teachers want a hand written assignment he gets extra time to finish, so he can take his time and make it nice and readable. We think this is because he writes all the time now with the right side, not the left that he always favored, but couldn't get to work. this may be something to bring up the older he gets in school.
Miss Elizabeth

Post by Miss Elizabeth »

Me, as a 12 year old almost 13 I wouldn't worry. He's only 3 years old. If you would want him to right faster when he's older than you can make him choose but for right now I think it's fine.

Bye, Miss Elizabeth
bugsntazz

Post by bugsntazz »

Hello,
My son, BPI left hand is now age 8. I believe he would have been a natural left (my sister, cousin, and husband brother) are all left handed. Since his BPI is on the left side, he has learned to write right handed. However, he bats left, eats left, and will use both at times. When he was in Kindergarten he had alot of trouble with writing, we did do tutoring handwriting with tears. It helped alot. His writing is not the neatest and he hates to write. Funny, he takes computer in 3rd grade and got 100% on typing test, he has put in request for lap top already for school. In 3rd grade he has to learn cursive and that is challengeing, probably going to do tutoring again. Your OT should be able to help with hand writing. Best of luck.
Mandie

Post by Mandie »

Sarah uses both hands. When one gets tired, she switches and the writing looks the same..
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

My 2 Cents on this....

My son Scott has servere fine motor problems(he's an adult now 36, YIKES!!) because of multible disabilites, (non-BPI) alto I had it in his IEP from age 10 he never learned to write his Name in cursive until around age 16 when they were learning about checking accounts/money stuff in Sp.Ed. Actually I then relaxed that he learned that much in cursive because he uses the computer for EVERYTHING in his life now and is an Office Assistant for DSHS. The point of all this is.. that a person can do fine in this computer age with minimal ammount of cursive writting especially when you can print everything else if you gon't have access to a computer. I Thank God for the computer everyday because it opened whole new worlds for the both of us.

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Vanda Roseboom

Post by Vanda Roseboom »

Richard always has struggled with writing. It takes such huge amount of concentration for him to make the letters that it is hard for him to keep track of content and spelling. He is 15 now and does everything on the computer which makes his life way easier. The issues were mainly to do with apraxia and getting what he knew in his brain to be performed by his hand.