SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
alyssasmommy

Re: SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Post by alyssasmommy »

WOW - I too have not heard of this before. Alyssa seems to have all of the characteristics of this too! How do they tell if it is Sensory Integration vs. ADD/ADHD? I have been wondering for some time if Alyssa has ADD/ADHD and now this comes to light. I am going to try and follow up with our OT and/or school. Where do I start?

Thanks,

Jody (mom to Alyssa 8 LOBPI)

Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

This is an interesting website.
I wonder if children with Horner's have more problems then those without?
Many times children seem to have " Lazy Eye" but I think it might be part of Horner's...
just guessing but these two websites are interesting.

http://www.add-adhd.org/

http://www.visiontherapystories.org/con ... iency.html

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Alyssa's Mommy
That is exactly what Brandon's teacher said today. Wow, the similarities are so close. She is assuming that is is sensory Intergration and not ADD/ADHD just from what she read from what I printed on here. When my son in "COMFORTABLE" he is a totally different child so I am convinced it is not ADHD/ADD !!!
alyssasmommy

Post by alyssasmommy »

BRANDONSMOM

I have been meaning to get the ball rolling with our ped. and school about the ADD/ADHD thing, but I, like you, don't feel Alyssa has ADD. She too can be so comfortable at times, can sit and watch an entire movie, and can really be a different person at times (relaxed!), unlike what I read ADD is. I spoke with our regular OT today, who is not certified in diagnosing this, but she said to start the ADD ball rolling so if they can rule that out, we have something else to look at. I am going to also bring it up at school with her teacher and see what she suggests. Our OT said that our school has an OT assigned to it and maybe he/she can help us out.

I am so glad I read this link...I truly believe this is what Alyssa has going on!

Good luck to you!

Jody
claudia

Post by claudia »

Jody:
I am not a professional, so please feel free to dump this advice. I would not get the ball rolling on ADD. It is extensive testing and depending if your school district pays or not can be quite expensive. I think they are directing you to ADD testing because THEY are comfortable with it. YOU don't seem to be. Ask your ot to direct you to someone who is trained in diagnosing SID. And go that route. It is so much more likely that it is SID. Then you can start working on the SID issues and see a positive change.

I think that many of our children have issues with sitting and focusing. I think sometimes they are just uncomfortable in their own skin. I can see it in Juliana. Sometimes she just doesn't seem okay. And if I ask her if something is wrong, she says no. I really think she doesn't "know" that something is bothering her.

Okay, off my soap box...
claudia
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Claudia
I think that is very good advice.
It seem more and more schools look towards ADD issues with children.
But OBPI children have a different set of issues.
I also feel those children with Horner's should have some of the eye tests to see if they are focusing.

I use to put my head on the desk to write...
It could have been to block the light or perhaps I could not focus with both eyes...

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
alyssasmommy

Post by alyssasmommy »

Claudia,

I am with you on that one. The testing is not free. Our OT who sees Alyssa is the one who recommended we go the ADD route first to have that eliminated (she is not trained in diagnosing). I strongly do not feel it is ADD (thus the reason for procrastinating on that!) and I am going to speak with her teacher and whoever I can at our school to see what we can do to have her assessed.

It is so strange, because I never thought it was ADD, I just thought I had spoiled her so much with her injury and I was reaping the benefits (so to say) of all the spoiling I had done!

Thanks again Claudia - great advice!

Jody
bugsntazz

Re: SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION? and ADHD is possible

Post by bugsntazz »

Hello again,

My BPI son was diagonosed with both SID and ADHD. He was diagnosed by a dr that is expert in both SID and ADHD. We had always expected the SID but the ADHD came to us at a surprise. Just wanted to let you know that both are possible.
brandonsmom

Re: SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION? and ADHD is possible

Post by brandonsmom »

That is pretty interesting, but I don't know if I can handle BOTH, Ha, Ha. Brandon had a good day at school yesterday after I talked to his teacher. I kept him going all night and he was pretty good this morning. Maybe we can have two good days in a row. did you take your son to see a pschiatrist or what kind of doctor did you take him too !
Gayle
claudia

Post by claudia »

Gayle:
The testing for ADD is done by a neuropsychologist. Most are not covered by insurance.

good luck,
claudia