SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: SENSORY INTERGRATION DYSFUNCTION?

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP for GAMOM.

HUGS,
Carolyn J
LOBPI adult/chronic poster ;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumping Up Higher for Ashley and others preparing IEP's and 504's for school. Lots of good ideas for letters for school and teachers.

Keep on, keeping on Mom's, it pays off big time! :)

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP FOR Margaret J...
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumping Up for Mar...can't remember new Mom's name...LOL 70 yr old mind is blanking out on me...LOL
Carolyn J
LOBPI adult/ 70 +++++& counting ;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

I wonder if it is possible to have an Integration Dysfunction board, with all these old posts????? I always have a problem finding them, I am slow to say the least !!!
GAYLE
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP FOR Maranders...
HUGS,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP FOR Carron.
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP.
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

[quote]
Postby Kath » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:06 am

Gayle
I always had ants in my pants!
My Mom said my fanny and a chair had a passing acquaintance... LOL..
I still don't like to sit too long.
I went to a strict Catholic school and we were expected to sit up straight and still.
I was quiet in school because I think I was on overload and would drift off daydreaming out the window.
My friends and family think this is funny because I am not quiet and am very outgoing.
I guess I shut down because of sensory overload.

I personally don't like anyone to sit behind me or walk behind me in restaurants.
My husband laughs because I always wanted the seat in the corner, so no one could come up behind me.
I startled a great deal as a young person.
Now, I have more protective compensations in place that prevents me from getting startled.
It's a good thing we are married 40 years this month because this morning...
I had him cutting out the tags of the shirt I had on.

Check to see if his clothing is loose enough and the fabric comfortable.
I will still fidget if I wear something that is bothering me.
I find this will keep me from focusing.
I have a lot of hobbies that require me to focus and I make sure I am comfortable before I start a project.
If I am comfortable I have a very long attention span.

I don't like anyone in my personal space uninvited!
But I think everyone is like that...
I was extremely affectionate as a child but did not like it if someone touched me unannounced...

The teacher really needs to understand that he is not being spoiled or demanding.
I think the teachers should be made aware that this is a physical injury and it causes the SI problems and we can't fix it.
They can help by seating us so that the lights and the noise level are not a distraction and problem.
He may need to be seated in a comfortable place in the room.
Perhaps the noise level in the classroom, if he is in the middle of the room, causes him to be uncomfortable.
He does not understand that and he may not be able to communicate it.
The overhead lights are so ANNOYING to some of us that we become irritable.

We just have to learn to adjust and live with it.
I hate to be in the center of a crowd.
I prefer to be at the edges so that I don't feel uncomfortable.

This is just my opinion after living with this.
Kath ( adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP. *Heart*

"gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/76