awareness for adults having surgery on shoulder area

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

awareness for adults having surgery on shoulder area

Post by jmar »

it seems like there are a lot of people on here lately with surgical stretches of the BP nerves. if you know of anyone having surgery on the shoulder region, i would hope you would inform them of the danger of the brachial plexus nerve being stretched.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: awareness for adults having surgery on shoulder area

Post by Kath »

I try to tell anyone going for surgery to talk to the doctors about the position they are in for anesthesia.
My friends cousin recived a bpi stretch during hip surgery. The position he was in caused it. He is still in PT and pain.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi