Pain with OBPI

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Re: Pain with OBPI ? sleeping when a baby

Post by patpxc »

Louise,
i have never found a Dr. that is even remotely interested in the back and legs. I have been told numerous times that it can't be related to the Erb's, even though I know it is. My legs feel almost like they weigh 2000 pounds and are dragged down by an unknown weight. When I was a kid, the Dr. said they were growing pains. I did get both Social Security disability and long term disability from my job in the last year due to all of the secondary stuff caused by the OBPI. mainly arthritis in the fingers, neck, knees and feet. Recurrent carpal tunnel, numb fingers, noone was interested in my back. I got approved for the social security in less than a month. I get reviewd in 3 years. like it's going to improve. I believe that a visit and a letter from Dr. Nath at TCH helped to facillitate that decision. I also had a brain MRI a couple of years ago because of double vision and there were some abnormalies that noone could explain. Since they weren't life threatening noone was interested. I wish I knew if it was related to the Erb's. Like atrophy in a small part that controls movement in the right arm and shoulder. Anyway, I can say my life has been full. I still have most of my mind.
I've been told I should be used to this Erb's because I've had it all of my life. I don't think you ever get used to it. Because of the secondary effects it is ever chaging and deteriorating. Thank goodness there are others to talk to that can relate. Pat