Nerve Re-Implantation, anyone had it? or know of anyone who's had it?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Nerve Re-Implantation, anyone had it? or know of anyone who's had it?

Post by Christopher »

Hello, I'm six months new to BPI due to a motorcycle accident. Just had surgery two months ago at the Mayo Clinic in Minn. on my right arm(4 intercostal nerves relocated to bicep, in which 2 of them went to a transfered gracilus muscle, and 1/2 of left C7 transfered to right shoulder, deltoid). I went this route because Dr. Carlsted of the Royal National Othopedic Hospital of London, whom I understand is one of the few leaders in the field of reimplantation, told me that I didn't fit the requirements. Three avulsed nerves was 2 shy of the necessary 5, and my hospital release date of one month post injury was just about pushing it to the surgical time limit. I can't seem to shake my desire to know more about nerve reimplantation. It just seems like the natural resolve to this crappy situation. My curiosity needs quieting, so if anyone out there has heard of any one that's had reimplantation, could you let me know? Thanks. Christopher Janney
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Nerve Re-Implantation, anyone had it? or know of anyone who's had it?

Post by jennyb »

Hi Christopher
I don't know of anyone who's had the reimplantation procedure Prof Carlstedt is doing, altho I know a couple of guys who have him as their doctor. I know that ideally he likes to do the op within hours of the accident for optimum results. The bpi clinic in Rome also is looking at reimplantation of peripheral nerves as far as I remember. It sounds like you had your grafts fairly early, hopefully you'll get a good result, fingers crossed for you.
O)ne of the guys on the UK tbpi site is thinking about having the gracilis muscle transfer and is looking for info, here's a link to the post. Maybe you can help him. http://pub28.ezboard.com/fadultswithbra ... =678.topic
Let us know how the grafts are going, and good luck :0)
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

a lady has posted under yours on the tbpi uk board Chris, she had all 5 nerves avulsed and had reimplantation within 36 hours of the accident by Prof Birch in London. She didn't realise that's what she'd had until she read your post! 16 months later she's starting to get some recovery. So Carlstedt's work is definitely crossing into the mainstream at last, hopefully avulsion of all 5 nerves won't be such a big deal in the future. Thanks for posting, none of us realised we had an 'implantee' in our membership & it will be interesting to see how she gets on.
hdcrash

Post by hdcrash »

hey chris thats my name to and i also had a motorcycle accident in august 2002 i avulsed c5 c6 c7 and streched t1 c8 right side i had the intercostal nerve graft in janurary 2003 they used three nerves to the bicep and took a nerve from my trapezious muscle to the deltoid they didnt do the muscle transfer right away but said that if shoulder and elbow stabilized that they would do the gracilous muscle transfer and the crossover my dr said that he was at a confrence a few weeks ago and there is a dr in france that has done about 4 surgerys were they re implant the nerves back in the spine but they are still in early stages and not really showing much improvment but thats a start my email adrress is hdcrash@aol.com i have a post here under that name that will explain mine a little better sounds like were in the same boat i would like to know more info on yours and feel free to ask any on mine thanks