Targeted Muscle Reinnervation with biceps / triceps

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
framegrabber
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 37 year male from the Netherlands, TBPI in Sept. 1996 with C8TH1 avulsion on my not dominant right arm. Nerve grafts reconstruction from leg in Nov. 1996 didn't help a lot, no hand, wrist, biceps or triceps function, only some sense. Now planning a operation to amputate above the elbow and get a bionic arm (myo electric prosthesis) with a target muscle reinnervation in Vienna around Nov 2015

Targeted Muscle Reinnervation with biceps / triceps

Post by framegrabber »

Hi,

I'm planning an operation (and amputation) in Vienna of my paralyzed arm. The surgeon performs a transplantation of my biceps, triceps and a part of my gracillis muscle in my chest, different than a transplantation of the gracillis muscle in the biceps to restore elbow flexion. If it will succeed than I have 4 myo signals to control a prothesis with pattern recognition.

Has anyone experience with that kind of TMR operation? What went good or wrong? I know that in the USA it was invented (by prof. Kuiken?) and in Europe it's not common, a German man was the first person with this kind of operation. In my country (the Netherlands) there is no experience yet with TMR.

Thanks.