SINGLE HANDED SAILING

Adaptations, Hobbies, Athletics, Sports, Music, Arts, etc
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

SINGLE HANDED SAILING

Post by Christopher »

http://singlehandedyachting.com/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 615733.stm

Disabled sailor to honour Nelson

A disabled boatman is planning to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar by sailing on his own around the British Isles.

Keith White, who lost the use of his left arm in a motorbike accident 14 years ago, will set sail this week from Gillingham Marina in Kent.

He aims to travel anti-clockwise around the UK and Ireland in three weeks.

Mr White's jib sail has an 8ft painting of Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson, who died in the battle on 21 October, 1805.

The 200th anniversary celebrations of the Battle of Trafalgar include an International Fleet Review at Portsmouth, Hampshire on 28 June, which should coincide with the closing stages of Mr White's journey along the south coast.

He has been sailing since the age of 16 but will have to cover around 2,000 miles to complete this challenge.

Mr White said of Admiral Nelson: "He did an awful lot for the nation and he was a sailor, plus he was a disabled person and had one arm just like myself."

He added that weather conditions and food supplies could be his main enemies, but he has already stocked up on noodles.

"I'll have soups, baked beans and things like that but the noodles are supposed to give me all the energy I need."

Mr White will auction his painted sail in aid of five different charities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 645925.stm
Disabled sailor saved from storm

A disabled yachtsman sailing around the British Isles has been dramatically rescued in seas off the Irish coast.

Keith White, a London man who started his journey from Kent, was being towed to Arranmore off the north-west of the Republic of Ireland on Sunday.

A coastguard spokesman reported that Mr White, who only has the use of one arm, managed to right his yacht after it overturned in a force 10 to 11 gale.

He was believed to have suffered slight injuries but has stayed on his boat.

Lost contact

Mr White, from Mottingham in south-east London, set off from Gillingham Marina in Kent in mid-June.

He is travelling around the UK and Ireland to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

He has been sailing since the age of 16 but lost the use of his left arm in a motorbike accident 14 years ago.

Malin Head coastguard launched a search operation on Saturday evening after contact was lost with Mr White's yacht, the Nephele.

Two rescue helicopters, an RAF Nimrod and a lifeboat were all involved in a lengthy rescue operation.

Kathy White, Mr White's wife Kathy was told that her husband had fallen over and hurt some ribs which he had previously injured.

"It was a full-scale rescue," she told the BBC on Sunday.

"I wasn't worried because the coastguard are so very nice and so reassuring."

She said her husband was a stubborn man but may not be able to carry on with his journey if the Nephele turns out to be too badly damaged.

"It's getting to the stage now where I just want him to finish it and get home," she added.

Mr White was expected to be back safely on land by Sunday evening.

http://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/news/solo ... avigation/
Solo sailor with one arm to set off on non-stop circumnavigation

Keith White is quite literally sailing single-handedly around the world, after losing the use of his arm in a motorway accident in 1991.

The yachtsman is attempting to circumnavigate the globe non-stop and unassisted in a challenge sure to test the limit of his own mental and physical capability.

Keith’s boat, Marathon, a Feeling 1350, is only partly modified to accommodate Keith’s physical disability. It was built to compete in the BOC single handed round the world race in 1992 and has completed two circumnavigations.

He has already crossed the Atlantic solo and sailed anti-clockwise around the whole of the British Isles.

Marathon is currently at Cowes Yacht Haven, where Cowes Town Waterfront Trust has donated a berth to help Keith realise his goal. Weather permitting, Keith will leave Cowes to head towards the Azores on 19 or 20 October.

The journey is estimated to take 10 months, during which time Keith will sail alone, completely isolated from the outside world.

As well as testing his own endurance, Keith is aiming to raise £15,000 for two good causes, Save The Children, and a foundation to build a replica of the Cutty Sark for under privileged children.

Keith said: “I’ve been putting all my efforts into preparing for this challenge since 2008. I’m going to be realising a big dream, especially if I can fundraise a significant amount for my chosen charities.

“I think the biggest challenge is going to come sailing around the South African coast, where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet. The bottom of South America is also known to be unpredictable.”

Keith isn’t afraid of the amount of time he will be spending alone on his boat. He added: “It sounds strange, but I’m looking forward to it. Sailing alone is the only time I ever get to read a book! I’m itching to get going now and I’m extremely grateful to Cowes Town Waterfront Trust for helping by donating a berthing space.”

Jon Pridham, managing director at Cowes Yacht Haven, said: “When we heard about Keith’s attempt to sail around the world unassisted, non-stop, we had to get involved. This is a huge feat even for a physically able sailor, but Keith also has to work around his disability. His attitude is a real inspiration.”

For more information about Keith White’s round the world challenge, visit his website http://singlehandedyachting.com/.