My story bpi injury

Welcome Newbies! Introduce yourselves!
Weldernut
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident 10/20/14 awaiting surgery total arm paralyzed nerves avulsed

My story bpi injury

Post by Weldernut »

My name is Joseph on 10/20/14 I was riding my motorcycle home when a driver Ran a stop sign. I crashed into the side of the truck. I broke all bones in my leg and ribs dislocated my shoulder on the left side. When I woke on the side of the road, I couldn't feel my arm, I thought this was something to do my trauma. About two days into my hospital stay I realized that I had something much severe a brachial plexus injury, I have fluid around my spine and have believed to have avulsed some nerves, I haven't had my surgery done yet. Before the accident I was a career firefighter and worked on welding machines. I am currently waiting for the mayo clinic to call about a second opinion. This has been very difficult for me as I am very independent at home and in life. I have moved home with my parents to help while I rehab my leg and am out of work. I am walking now and have one of dans slings. The docs think I can have shoulder abduction a bicep flexion restored through nerve transplants . I loved riding motorcycles and never thought this would happen to me. I can't believe how little information there is about this injury. This has changed my life greatly as old task become new task or even a challenge. Being independent and a firefighter I have always jumped to help others now I have to ask for help this has been the hardest part for me. I will try to update this as I progress through the surgery and in life with this injury.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: My story bpi injury

Post by jmar »

Hang in there Joseph. It will get better. Once you learn all the ways a task can be done you will be amazed ar what you can do. ONE HANDED. The number one thing to help with the pain is water eccercise. If your arm is totally paralyzed it helps to just simply stand in water up to your chin and let the arm just float for a while. That will take the pressure off your shoulder and give it a well deserved rest from the constant weight of the arm. Hope you do well with this injury. I thought I lost the use of my arm forever but I am very happy to have gotten some use back. I can do excercises all day long and they dont do much for me. But I can do water excercises and it helps a great deal.
cadensmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My 18 month old was in a head on collision on April 3, 2015. Complete avulsions of his C8 and T1 roots. No movement in left arm.

Post by cadensmommy »

Thank you for sharing! It looks like you are the most recent TBPI, I would love to hear about your progress over the next few months and see what we can expect.
Weldernut
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident 10/20/14 awaiting surgery total arm paralyzed nerves avulsed

Post by Weldernut »

update: I had my two year ann. time flies. I am still in pain and currently contemplating the DREZ. I got very little back from the surgery, expectations were less from the get go because of my size 6-2 275lbs. They said the muscle would have more to lift. I can flex it but it hurts to clinch in to try and lift or cough. I got my second Dan sling with a back up as well. I have found the sling to be the best thing that happened thus far. Without it i think i would not have gotten out of bed and put up this fight. I also retired from my Position of Firefighter at KFRD, leaving my life love was hard to do but remain in contact through my father whom is a Captain there. I started working out and find I have less pain if I'm in a routine and the exercise does help with sleep. i will say getting over the social anxiety of going to the gym was tough. Luckly i go to "the Judgement free zone" lol. Any experience with the Drez would be helpful as currently its all I can think about. Thanks, Joe