Soon-to-Be Preschooler

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Soon-to-Be Preschooler

Post by gawilliams »

:o Ok Mommies/Daddies. My soon to be 4 year old daughter will be starting 4K this August. (She actually will turn 4 in August) She has a pretty severe injury. She still has not regained any hand, wrist, or extension. So I am starting a list of anything and everything to prepare the teacher, school, and myself for this up coming school year. I am a little nervous. Not that I don't think she will do well but the adaptation of activities, special accommodations that will have to be made and making sure that her teachers will be on the same page. I don't want her to be treated any differently, I am only concerned with her safety. Right now she doesn't know that "righty" is different. Sometimes she forgets about "righty" and that is what is just a little worrisome. I just want to be the best advocate for her. So any ideas or suggestions that I can add to my list would be great. Anything from the bathroom to holding a lunch tray to IEP/504 ideas. ANYTHING! She is one handed so I want to make sure she has the accommodations she needs to succeed. The good thing is its only a half of day so hopefully it will be a good transition. Thank you in advance.