What is Camp UPBN like?

Discuss Camp UBPN
amberslp
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI. No surgical intervention.

What is Camp UPBN like?

Post by amberslp »

Hi everyone! I'm considering attending camp this September and wanted to hear from some of you who have attended in previous years. What is it like? What do you do? What did you get out of it? I know the basics from the website, but I really want to hear your personal stories about camp. I've never encountered anyone else who has this injury (I'm 27 and have a ROBPI, by the way). I think it would be really great to meet others like me, I just need a little convincing! :)

-Amber
AlecB
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI.

Re: What is Camp UPBN like?

Post by AlecB »

Welcome,

UBPN camp is filled with a variety of different group talk rooms, with titles such as: siblings of one who is injured, fathers of the injured, mothers of the injured, the injured themselves. They usually get special speakers to come and chat as well, last time there was some Olympic medalist I believe. Also a guy who climbed mount everest and other mountains who has the injury. And one other time they had a guy who plays guitar and has an album that came.

There is just a variety of meetings and additional activities that are available that the YMCA has available to all guests (at charge of course).
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

Alec described what goes on pretty well. I have been to Camp UBPN once back in 2010, and, you are right, it is a great way to meet people like yourself. I am still contemplating going this year as well. Injured people get to attend for free, so we just have to get to there which is pretty great. But I still need to get the flight so...we shall see.

If you have never met anyone in person before it can be a really empowering experience. Especially when you realize there are others out there that have been through similar experiences as you.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

If you have never met anyone in person before it can be a really empowering experience. Especially when you realize there are others out there that have been through similar experiences as you.
I second this! Thanks Jennifer for saying it best! For me it was a Lifechanging event in my life...Camp 2005. I've attended Camp 2007, and 2012. UBPN is My Family and all children become my "Grands" because I don't have any of my own.

"gramma"Carolyn J
LOBPI/75++++
Drea492
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI - Birth Injury Happended to the Right Arm. No surgurys done and minimal therapy throughout my life.

Post by Drea492 »

Hey there,
Im going this year with my mom. I feel like its one of those life changing trips I need to take...lol I havent really met anyone either with the same condition and I just turned 30 :-). I have ROBPI too and so Im looking forward to going and meeting other people.
Hope you decide to make it and if you do I hope to meet you
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

I haven't attended in a few years... I am 34 TBPI! My first camp was an eye opening experience!!! This year I am bring my hubby and kiddos!! Its a great time! Looking forward to meeting new friends!!

Courtney