PAIN???!!!!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
brachialplexushurts
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 23 LOBPI

PAIN???!!!!

Post by brachialplexushurts »

Hi I'm Mary and I'm 23 years old with LOBPI and I have chronic pain related to my injury. I have pain in both my injured and normal shoulders. Massage is the only thing that helps but it's so expensive. I just got trigger point injections but they only gave me a few days of relief. I have a hard time sleeping because I'm constantly in pain. It makes me really angry sometimes. Does anyone else experience chronic pain related to their injury? Want to share pain management tips?
Master DIVER TOM

Re: PAIN???!!!!

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Oh I understand this issue with pain in both arms :evil: :twisted:
It is a life long quest to find a pain Med,sorry :| :evil: a Quests we all are on from birth injuries to latter in life injuries :shock:
Till then , it all about taking the weight of the arm and shoulder and this is about support by raising the arm to take the gravity of the arm , Raise your arm and put it on the arm of a chair or couch ;) In bed place a pillow in back of the shoulder and another pillow under your arm, If you turn and wake up, Well that me to :|
Not The best answer, But it helps :roll:
Tom
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Re: PAIN???!!!!

Post by Jennifer P »

My short answer: The more I exercise and move my arm the less it hurts.

I will list some of the things that work for me.

1. Easy exercise and stretching at home: I have a few tools like a foam roller http://www.amazon.com/White-Foam-Roller ... 910&sr=1-6, one of those big exercise balls, yoga blocks and a yoga strap. I mostly do light exercise or yoga about 3 times a week or more to videos at home that I either borrow from the library or find on the internet via YouTube or Podcasts.

2. Group exercise: I find that I can only handle going about once per week, and I only go to locations that allow me to pay per class or buy just a few classes at a time. Memberships are too much commitment. I do like group classes because I push myself further than I do at home. If the instructor doesn't know me I talk to them before class so that I am not focused on or pointed out in class. I prefer to talk about ways to improve with the instructor after class.

3. Massage. You said it yourself, it's expensive. I recently started getting bodywork done and it has been so immensely beneficial that I really feel it is worth it for myself to feel better. I have tried other healing modalities like acupuncture and Reiki. I find those methods helpful, but since I have to pick one I choose to spend my money on massage because it is direct and shows an immediate positive effect. It helps get my muscles and blood moving in ways that I cannot do on my own.

Other things I find help:
• tiger balm
• when it is feeling extra painful and I do not want to exercise or move I alternate a heating pad and ice pack
• lay on the floor and place a tennis ball under your back in the area that is painful (edge of scapula) this is similar to what the foam roller does
• I take pain medicine as a last resort, and I also have bouts of insomnia. If I am having an especially troubling night I will take a sleep aid.

All the things I mentioned require time, effort and in most cases some money. I have become frustrated and given up a few times, but I find when I do those main three things that they help me manage my pain the best. You just have to find the right weekly routine that works for you. I hope this helps, and feel free to send me a private message if you want to chat.