Triathlon Pics

Adaptations, Hobbies, Athletics, Sports, Music, Arts, etc
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Triathlon Pics

Post by Dan »

Just completed the Malibu triathlon last weekend, Sept 8th and thought I would post as few pictures. The triathlon is on the shorter side, 1/2 mile swim, 18 mile ride and 4 mile run. It might be short, but it is one of the tougher short ones because the swim is straight out through the ocean breakwater and it can be cold.

I got third place in the Para division and was the first one armed guy, then again, there were only two one armed guys there. Still, lots of fun and a great day.

Dan
Dan Swim Malibu 2013.jpg
Dan Swim Malibu 2013.jpg (80.18 KiB) Viewed 23661 times
Dan Bike Malibu 2013.jpg
Dan Bike Malibu 2013.jpg (46.87 KiB) Viewed 23648 times
Dan Finish Malibu 2013.jpg
Dan Finish Malibu 2013.jpg (82.1 KiB) Viewed 23655 times
Dan CAF Medals Malibu 2013.jpg
Dan CAF Medals Malibu 2013.jpg (111.65 KiB) Viewed 23666 times
Attachments
Dan Medal Malibu 2013.jpg
Dan Medal Malibu 2013.jpg (69.35 KiB) Viewed 23658 times
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Triathlon Pics

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

DAN!!! YEAH!!!!!! ;) :D
Just for kicks, what stroke do you use ??? :roll:
Best stroke I found to do was a one arm side stroke, balance by kick ;)
YOur Doing Great, There is much to be said about Tenacity, :shock: :D
Tom :D
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WAY TO GO,DAN!!
You Rock! *Heart*
Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

awesome pics! congrats!
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Master DIVER TOM wrote:DAN!!! YEAH!!!!!! ;) :D
Just for kicks, what stroke do you use ???D
Hi Tom,

Here is the swim technique I use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf76AOvrjqk

I have been coached by Alan and swam with other top one armed triathletes when they were developing this technique. It feels very natural and it also is great for distance swimming and or triathlons. Reason it is so good for triathlons is you need to conserve as much energy as possible on your swim and this style helps keep your kick calmer. A harder kick is actually bad for triathlons because your legs are bigger muscles and those use more energy, so when you get out of the water, you have used up a lot of energy compared to everyone else. This way, you increase the turnover in your arm (smaller muscles, less energy) and actually get better propulsion. I added all this extra explanation because Alan doesn't address this in the video, he spends most of the time showing and explaining how to swim this way.

Dan
Master DIVER TOM

Hi Dan :shock: :D
I learn a way to swim , you thought yourself how to do a race, which is awesome-!!
There are many post I read , ware I learned a way to adapt my way and what amazes me to, is the way others find away to adapt which is just as good or a better way of adapting to do the same task.
Thank you for sharing this with me ,
Can you share this on the other posting sight to :roll:
This might help there to, showing another way to swim to kids and adults, there are alot of swimmers with these injuries :shock:
Thanks Dan :D
Tom
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Solid work Dan! I got into paratri beginning last year, where I got to meet champion arm athletes like Joel and Robin.

One thing that paratri gave me was exposure to the para community in general, where things really get put into perspective. Sure swimming, cycling, and running with 1 arm is pretty tough, but how about doing it with no use of your legs? Or without sight? It makes you pretty thankful for what you do have, and is a great example of the human will to overcome.

MW
Turbettg

Post by Turbettg »

Great pics! And great to see more folks with BPI's taking part in endurance sports.

I run long distance - mainly ultra marathons (raced the UK Long Distance Champs for the second time this year - first time was in 206, but ran over 75min quicker this year!), but have raced track and cross country also. I've recently started riding a bit more (I was a sub 70min sprint triathlete before my injury) but swimming has always caused me quite a bit of neck pain when I go beyond a few hundred metres. Haven't minded too much - was always my worst discipline having been a cyclist before a triathlete :-) But it's interesting to see the technique in the link you posted - it's so different to 'normal' swim technique and after years of having a specific style coached into me, I attempted to recreate it with one hand - unsuccessfully. Will give this one a try when I'm at the gym tomorrow. Thanks :)

Garrett
Master DIVER TOM

There is nothing about scuba diving that comes with swimming, To save my neck , I used a one arm side stroke power and the power really comes with using a side kick motion. I taught myself this stroke growing up with birth erbs. The accommodation really a mask and snorkel :shock: :) I wonder if you use them in cooperative swimming?? :shock: This way you could save your neck and be-able to try other types of swimming strokes , because you would not half to turn your head out of the water ;)
In scuba diving you just kick with your feet and never really swim in a dive.
Maybe this might help at the pool ???
All you guys make me :shock: :D in your races ;) :D Sometimes we smile by looking back and seeing how far we all have come in adapting over time :shock: ;) :D
Just thinking , :roll:
Tom
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

Bravo !