A chance to win Tampa Bay Bucs Tickets

mrincon2

Re: A chance to win Tampa Bay Bucs Tickets

Post by mrincon2 »

Hi! My name is Maria J. Rincon, but I prefer my middle name better, Johana :D I was adopted at age 5 in Venezuela, where I was born and raised until age 14. I have the most understanding parents and sister ever. I have grown up with a BPI on my right arm. My parents and I are almost 100% sure that this was due during labor. I can't lift my arm all the way up. My arm is not straight. I am able to move my arm, hand, and fingers, but as I grow up, i feel less mobility. I have never been on surgery for this, but in physical therapy. Physical therapy was really helpful when I was a little girl to the point that I was able to bring my right arm all the way to the left side of my head when brushing my hair. I also was able to rise my arm more than I can now. I have also tried to eat and write with the right hand, but it's hard because the fingers don't stay in place :lol: , but I'll keep trying. I am able to hold things like bags with my right arm even though it hurts more. I was in swimming lessons and was able to bring my arm up when swimming. I also played tennis for a little while during my elementary school years and sometimes used my right arm. One of my biggest challenge in life was when i was in first grade and we had to do a show in front of the parents and they needed cheerleaders. I wanted to be a cheerleader so bad and I signed up for it. At that age, I was not really aware of my arm. However, when we were all practicing at school for the big day, I started to notice my arm :) . I was like: "Why can't I do that? Why?" The big day came and there was not going back because I was not a chicken. I did an awesome job, even though I couldn't lift my arm as high as the other girls. My pom poms were the prettiest ones, and my outfit too lol. I also danced salsa in a competition, even though my arm was acting up, but I did it which was more important. It was easier to be a little girl with BPI than an adult with BPI. Now that I am in the work field, it has been very challenging to deal with adults and my BPI arm because they love to stare at it and I just want them to look at me and pay attention to what I am saying. I am currently in this big challenge in my life. When I go to interviews I am so scared they are going to look at it and judge me by that. I just need to be like that little cheerleader that did not give up.
momEmurray
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a right OPBI. Injured in March 2010.

Post by momEmurray »

Even though Lily is only three years old, she has overcome different obstacles. They may seem like minor things but for her they are huge milestones. I remember after each PT appointment, my husband and I would go out and buy different things to use at home. Lily became very spoiled with all of these toys or PT "tools". I remember getting her a rattle. It wasn't anything special; just a normal rattle. For her, it was like a weight. I remember when she was finally able to lift her arm almost over her head with this "weight". It was a big accomplishment for her to do that all by herself. I snapped a few different pictures and even made a scrapbook page out of it! I remember the day that she first crawled, December 24, 2010. I was so afraid that she wouldn't be able to do that since she hated putting pressure on that arm. She didn't crawl very far but she decided on her own that she was determined to do it. I remember seeing her pick up a crayon for the first time. I thought this would be another difficult task since she still has some fine motor issues. She is such a wonderful, little artist! I was sure that Lily would favor her left arm for throwing or swatting at things. Once again, she proved us wrong with that. She can hit her brother with her right arm; no problems ;-) (We don't reward her or cheer her on when she does this.) It seems like I took all of these "simple" things for granted with my other two children. I am just amazed at what things I think that Lily will not be able to do and how she proves us wrong with every step. I can't wait to see what she will do next.
- Beth Murray
MotherOfJames
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born 4-2-12 and due to negligence has BPI in his left arm, he had surgery to repair Mach 2013 and botox injections August 2013.

Post by MotherOfJames »

Hi! My son was born with BPI due to negligence by my doctor. He suffered a very tramatic birth. We met you at Dr. Grossmans office before!! :D We were told by multiple doctors that James would never be able to crawl, WELL they were WRONG!! My boy started crawling finally and by day 3 he was a PRO! I love this little guy, He is so strong and I am sure in the near future he will be able to over come so much more!!! He loves watching football on Tv with Daddy, I am sure he would love to see a game in person!!
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

If you have entered the Tampa Bay Bucs Ticket Giveaway, you have been contacted by Private Message through this board. If you have not received your message and are still interested in attending, please contact me asap at anise@ubpn.org

Thank you!

Anise
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Anise, do we get to know who won the tickets?
*Heart* all around your house.
gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Sorry Rich these pictures are unviewable on my computer. I would like to know who were able to attend and meet Adrian besides Judy who posted her picture on FB.
Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

by Carolyn J » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 am

Sorry Rich these pictures are unviewable on my computer. I would like to know who were able to attend and meet Adrian besides Judy who posted her picture on FB.
Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
Carolyn J
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

I put a link up instead of the inline pics. DO these work? These were from Judy BTW, so you probably already saw them :-)