Questions for Adrian Clayborn DE of Tampa Bay Bucs

richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Questions for Adrian Clayborn DE of Tampa Bay Bucs

Post by richinma2005 »

Please post your questions in this thread :P
Jaredsmom19
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I have a 12 year old son with a ROBPI.. hes kinda fabulous

Re: Questions for Adrian Clayborn DE of Tampa Bay Bucs

Post by Jaredsmom19 »

Dear Adrain,
Is there a moment that you can remember when someone else inspired you to push harder towards following your passion?

Thank you,
Kara.. Jareds mom

PS. Do you drinking enough water? Are you getting enough sleep? Hows your knee?
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Adrian,
Would you like to attend the Adult OBPI retreat in Orlando,Fl. Jan.31-Feb. 2 ,2014? If you want more info on the event please let me know.
Monica1981
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm, Brachial Plexus, 9/26

Post by Monica1981 »

Adrian,

As an adult, how hard was it to explain your injury to your teammates? How did they re-act and were you looked at differently?

Many people with Brachial Plexus lose mobility/strength as they age. Do you feel as though you have gained more use with your right arm or are you noticing new challenges?

Name one person that helped you get to where you are today.

Monica A
kailyn97
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: obstetric brachial plexus injury. 6/14/97. c5-c8 injured. left arm. decreased sensation, range of motion, and strength. 1st surgery when i was two: latissimus dorsi and teres major transplant and a pectoralis tendon release. 2nd surgery when i was 14: secondary surgery, muscle tendon transfer and arthroscopy.

Post by kailyn97 »

Hi Adrian,

I'm in high school and play soccer and I was wondering if you played other sports besides football growing up?
Were you ever scared that you might hurt your arm more while playing or injuring your uninjured arm?
What would you say your biggest challenge was growing up with this injury? Not just in sports, but in school too.

Rooting for you this season!

Thanks,
Kailyn
Jaredsmom19
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I have a 12 year old son with a ROBPI.. hes kinda fabulous

Post by Jaredsmom19 »

Hey Adrian

What does your mom think about you playing football? I know she thinks its cool but does she worry you'll get hurt? (you know my mom worrys)
How old were you when you started playing?
and mom says I have to go to college for more than football and good times. What did you want to be before you were a football player?

Thanks,
Jared
Jaredsmom19

Post by Jaredsmom19 »

Also Adrian,

When you were in school did other kids ask you about your arm? If you say yes what did you say back?
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

I find parents are protective & nervous for their kids, especially trying to balance freedom and prevention of further injury...how protective was your family and what advice would you give to parents in regards to sports and extracurricular activities? Did you ever try a musical instrument?
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Adrian,

Thank you for being willing to answer our questions! What would you say is one of your greatest strengths and also what do you find you struggle more with now as an adult in the spotlight?
LSMommy

Post by LSMommy »

Hi! Thank you so much for doing this. We read your story a while back and my husband and I were greatly inspired by your accomplishments! Our son is only 2 years old so he has a long journey ahead with his right brachial plexus injury. As parents it's really hard for us to see him struggle yet it's our job to help him to be the best he can be. Sometimes it's really tough having to be the "therapist" making our baby cry and causing him frustration, yet we know that it's the only way he will be able to have a functional arm.
What advice do you have for parents, what words or actions do you remember throughout your childhood that made a difference in your life and allowed you to work hard to accomplish your goals, without feeling like they were pushing you too hard?

Thank you,
Brittany and Steve