yoga?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

yoga?

Post by Cara »

My daughter is starting her teen years. Since her last growth spurt she has developed some imbalance of muscles in her back. Do any of you do yoga for flexibility? Any suggestions of a good DVD or certain posses to use?
We are seeing a PT again, but looking for something that she can do long term that will help. Thanks
Susan G
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Adult with OBPI (1943). No surgical intervention, no PT, casted for 9 months. Full use of hand tho' contracture at elbow pronounced and no lateral rotation of elbow. Some forward shoulder rotation. Recently experiencing neurological pain and muscle spasms. Interested in communicating with other adults with similar injury to "compare notes".

Re: yoga?

Post by Susan G »

I'm a 70 year old yoga teacher.....with OBPI! I've been teaching for 12 years. Yoga is fantastic for helping with muscle imbalances. I have fairly good use of my BPI arm, tho I look kind of silly in some of the poses. Can't straighten my arm or lift it overhead, but my students don't care, and it gives them "permission" to be not so perfect in their postures. I would recommend a gentle yoga DVD to start, and there are lots of really good ones available. But your daughter might enjoy the ambience of a class. I've got lots of teens in my gentle yoga class and adults in their 80s as well. It's a nice feeling to be laying on a mat next to other folks. I never did much to rehab my arm until I was in my 50s. I hired a personal trainer and he helped me get STRONG. At 55, I started martial arts and at 60 got my black belt in tang soo do. Anything is possible, as long as there is an instructor who understands the effects of BPI on the body. You certainly don't want her getting involved with a power yoga class where the instructor is demonstrating arm balancing poses. There are even yoga youtube videos that are really good and that way you can sample several styles and teachers without laying out money. Not knowing how much use your teen has with her BPI arm, I'm reluctant to suggest any poses. I do know a teacher who had a student with only one arm and he didn't give her any additional instruction, just let her figure out how to adapt the poses herself. That is the most perfect way. I always tell my students not to do anything that causes discomfort, and many of them opt out of poses and just watch for a few minutes.

Good luck!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Very good advice,Susan! HOw come we didn't connect sooner? anyhow i welcome questions. For pain relief I did gentle exercises in a warm swimming pool but it tired me out so much showering and dressing i stopped; it also got expensive and they didn't always have warm water so I got a sweet dog who I have to walk several times a day because i live in an apartment; she has become a Service dog too so now I can take her anywhere rain or shine.I have grown to love walking.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/75
marylandmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left OBPI. Surgical intervention age 6 years. Good cosmetic effect. Still with significant functional impairment.

Post by marylandmom »

I am a 45 year old LOBPI who has practiced yoga for the past 10+ years. It was the impetus for me to get back into serious OT/rehab and work on the muscle stickiness, imbalance, altered kinematics and contractures that had happened in my adulthood while I was so busy living my life that I neglected taking care of my arm. I learned as I went along to modify. I always use a block to help support my affected arm as it is shorter. This year I decided to stop "hiding" my asymmetry and started doing "over head" poses just as I am--with R arm straight and L arm doing just the best I could. I have had several teachers over the years encourage me to be 'symmetric" and have my R do only what my L could.

Though it took me a really long time to do it, I would suggest that your daughter introduce herself to the teacher before the class begins and explain her injury briefly and the level of help/touching she would wish to have. At this point in time, I say "Hi, my name is Sara and I have a BPI from birth. I do not have pain but I am limited in my ROM. I modify on my own but do not object if you touch me or make suggestions." Often times the teacher will ask at the beginning of the class..."is there anyone with an injury/etc that I should know about"--I am not so comfortable making a public pronouncement. And if you do not disclose, then it is awkward b/c they asked, and clearly you have an issue but did not speak up---

Hope this helps and that your daughter gives it a try. Yoga has positively changed my life in more ways than one.
Sara