Living with RBPI for 23 years

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Seka C
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: In 1989 at the age of 4, I was an unrestrained passenger in a horrific car accident. The car I was in was hit at approx. 100 mph by a drunk driver on the freeway, ejecting myself and two younger siblings. I have a RBPI. I can't lift my arm at the shoulder but can move my lower arm and wiggle and grip with my finger weakly. My wrist is severely tipped and doesn't move and my elbow is "stuck" in a bent position. Along with BPI I had a basilar skull fracture

Living with RBPI for 23 years

Post by Seka C »

HI there! My name is Seka and I am a 27 year old female with a RBPI that I sustained when I was ejected from our families vehicle when I was 4 years old after being hit by a drunk driver. I have moderate use of my fingers and can lift my arm to just about chest height. My elbow is bent and will not straighten (do you know what this is called?) and from what I have found online is that I have a "waiters tip wrist". I can wiggle my shoulder around but I can't lift my arm past my chest. I'm sorry If my descriptions are confusing.. I have only just learned what my injury is called. I also have feeling.. though in most my arm and hand everything feels fuzzy or prickly except for my upper arm which constantly feels like I have glass slivers in my shirt sleeves though over the years I've kind of learned to ignore it. Has anyone else had the sensation of being poked or cut by glass? This is all I can type right now but I will be back! Thank you so much and if anyone has any questions for me or needs an ear feel free! Much love to you all <3