One-armed Snowmobiling

Questions, stories, victories and antidotes to everyday challenges of traumatic injuries.
Oscar280
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Crashed a snowmobile on December 26th, 1996. Lost use of complete right arm.

One-armed Snowmobiling

Post by Oscar280 »

Hello all. Here's a quick video of me running my snowmobile with a sensor I can control with my mouth.

I've been riding one-handed for years now with the throttle and brake on one handle bar and it works great. No complaints. However, I've been longing to get back in the mountains and to do that, your hand needs to move around and it's used to pull the snowmobile on it's side. This makes running the throttle nearly impossible. I found some cheap electronic parts and mounted a servo on the throttle body so now I can electrically control the throttle using force. This way, my hand is free to control the sled. The harder I bite down, the faster it goes. Pretty simple. In the video, I'm pinching the sensor with my finger. As soon as we get enough snow, I'll post a video of me actually riding and using my mouth to control the throttle.

http://youtu.be/sJfZ1SlLmn8

Cheers,

Oscar
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: One-armed Snowmobiling

Post by Christopher »

Oscar... Now that's using your head! (pun intended)

Nice work Oscar and thanks for posting!
This kind of resilience and ingenuity are what I love most when coming to these forums!

Can't wait to see how it works out in the mountains & snow.

Well Done.

Cheers,
Chris
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Wow :shock: WE really get creative over time to adapt to WHAT EVER WE CAN in time!!!!! ;) :D So many great post like this :D
Call me crazy :shock: But this is the positive side of our injuries is the creative ways we have :idea: . To Try ;) and try again :shock:
So just to stir the need for a possible solution???? :roll: :roll: Might come in the form of a foot acceleration pedal for a SNOW mobile?? just thinking. :roll:
Foot acceleration can be done for a motor cycle to. You bet SAH!!!! ;) :D
Drove a Triumph Bonivelle with birth erbs, What me worry :shock:
Always,
Mr Positive , Being a Padi Master diver I was Dubbed Nemo years ago ;) When I saw nemo , I new I was going to get TAG :shock:
GREAT IDEA!!!!! ;) :D
Tom
Oscar280
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Crashed a snowmobile on December 26th, 1996. Lost use of complete right arm.

Post by Oscar280 »

Thanks for the comments. Tom, that's a great idea when trail riding, but when riding in the mountains, you're feet are rarely in the same place for too long. You're moving all over the machine.
Master DIVER TOM

Hi Oscar,
Oh, I was just talking about being on the road and Cruising on a bike. Doing dirt biking would be a challenge with a foot accelerator , to keep your foot on it for -sure ;)
Man , just when you think you get the BUgs out :shock:
I have had alot of ideas that ether I adapt to ;) or they took more thinking to do so :roll:
or I could not find away to adapt. My motto is, you never fail by trying ;) WOW, do we try things by post !! ;) :D
Great Post-!! Oscar
Thanks,
Tom
Master DIVER TOM

I was thinking :roll:
I have been posting like so many others here. ;)
Amazing :shock:
You see so many ways We Do find or ways to adapt ware possible by Post ;) :D If that try does not work you move on SOME HOW??? ;) I think :roll: We All become unstoppable in our own ways over time ;) Determination to overcome, Some way some Next idea to try comes up, alot of post like this :shock: :D To me it is a blessing to find ways to try and a JOY to remember the small and great thing we find we can do by our post, I think ;) :D , threw all the Pain :twisted: We find another idea to try :shock: even thou , we work threw the pain because we know :roll: That pain and gain do happen to archive what ever we can with our limitation were left with?? :roll:

The most inspiring things come from our trys and a Hell of alot of Gusts we post :shock: We all know what it takes, By so many post to. ;)
Courage comes with a price to try. A Quest for a better pain med for nerve stretch , Still never found the right one at 61.
What I do know its is harder to try when your pain level is hi :shock:
Driving a semi with birth erbs and pain level were :evil:

Just thinking, :roll:
Tom
johnmetalman
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: hit by car november 26 07 operated on oct 08 ruptured radial nerve with sural grafts and nerve transfer of median to radial in forearm. radial nerve has some recovery all other nerves are intact.

Post by johnmetalman »

Just remember injuries...y'all scare me sometimes....who cares what they say.
Master DIVER TOM

You made me SMILE :shock:
There is one thing we share in Trying :roll: in life with our own limitations. Is a
Courage to try and try again attitude leads to a new Possible thing to adapt to in time :shock: Sometimes?? ;)
Over time like US is the battle scares of trying over time , Ouch :( It hurts when I do this Doctor, Doc reply , then dont do it. Yeah right :shock: , By our post here, is there seems to be many of us, who, Must be a ( gluttons for pain) by what we tryied and end up adapt to overtime. :o
Just thinking :roll:
My reply to the doc (what- EVER, Doc ) :shock: :D
We all are SOOOOO!!! creative over time , By our Post and our trys to adapt to a Vast amount of trys that do work out by our IDEAS we dream up by post to :shock: ITS REAL not just hope adapting is real in our trys :D , I think to :roll: :shock: Remember this when things dont work out :roll:I had plenty of those to over time like Us :roll:
Just a :idea:
Tom
Vynter

Post by Vynter »

I lost use of my left arm from a snowmobile crash in 93. But I have been snowmobiling since. I have been out west to almost everywhere (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, British Colombia) riding with the big guys. For me I just needed to install a lefty throttle for my left sidehill needs. But I can definitely see where this setup would be handy because switching between throttles kills your momentum, and that's never good in the deep stuff. I've just had to learn to plan my lines a bit more that the other guys.

How did it work for you this year? I'd be afraid for inadvertent jaw clinches in some situations though. Between the both of us we'd be one hell of a rider. :)

Jamin
bcarpjr

Post by bcarpjr »

Guys, I'm new to this page and forum. I lost use of my right arm in Feb of 2013 due to a snowmobile accident. I had a full brachial plexus root avulsion on the right side, all the nerves were torn completely out. I have a Ski-Doo MX Z 600 and many spare parts from the MX 600 I crashed. I would love to be able to go and ride again here in West and northern Michigan. Equally as important though, I would like to get to know you folks and share some of our stories, experiences, and ways we've overcome these challenges. I'm pleased to have found this group. Do they make a standard left-hand throttle?