The first unstoppable

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

The first unstoppable

Post by MW »

I know a lot of us struggle to get back to being active with our injuries, and cycling is one of those activities you have to re-learn. If you think biking with 1 arm is tough, check out this guy - 1 arm and 1 leg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VgW2I7oEZs
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Re: The first unstoppable

Post by ArmStrong »

WOW another great example of how strong the human spirit can be!.When I was first injured after 30 something years with no more than a scratch,I felt depressed,angry and defeated,I couldn't see past my paralyzed arm.Being a physical person all I could focus on was what I was losing and the things I would no longer be able to do,as cliche as it sounds there is alot of truth to the saying "you can do whatever you put your mind to".Over the past 2 years I've seen soo many great examples of just that,the guy in this video riding his bike,there is a motorcyclist with the same side amputation of his arm and leg which he lost in a motorcycle accident and he still rides! theres the lady with NO arms who flies a plane!The list goes on...I really appreciate and admire all of you who continue to set examples and raise the bar,I never thought I'd say this but I am lucky,it could have been worse and I'm not done yet!Thanks for the inspiration. :D
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

armstrong. i am so glad to hear you are doing so much better. :D keep up the good work
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

armstrong, great post!. i remember some of your first posts here on the forum. you expressed some thoughts that i'm sure a lot of people with this injury think the same things and it's just a matter of working through. as for me at the moment the only real downside/problem with the injury for me is the nostop pain. i've been able to ride my mountain bike on sidewalk/parking lot surfaces for short/medium distances so alot of the balance needed for that has come back i just can not be very fast on turns or grades. right now, however, i try to focus on being happy with what i have been able to do on my own. the other day i replaced the3-way lampholder socket on an old lamp i got from my grandparent when she passed. a few moths ago i pretty much moved 85% of my stuff into a new apartment, on the 2nd floor no less. i changed out the dead battery on my dirt bike on my own, i'm learning to shoot basketball hoops left arm only. i can swim in a lane and stay pretty straight using my legs to counter the lack of input from the non-functional arm.i just try to find great pride/pleasure in the stuff i can now do whatever it is. i also thank all those on the forum for the help.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Inspiration,
Comes from watching person like Armstrong and so many others by post ;) , The greatest thing we can do is to post encourage by our experience to help others move forwards. The reward is posting and seeing others adapt and move forwards . Everything we learn are big things ,because we know by our experience it takes a lot to try and try again. There is no such thing as a small accomplishment because we all go threw this experience . Thou's who ask for advice always end up trying to help ;) :D That also is a great thing :D

Tom
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

Thanks guys,just trying to stay positive through all the ups and downs of having this injury.It's all about attitude and really dealing with your feelings,good and bad just digging deep down inside and finding that strength that I believe is in all of us.Sure some days are better than others and we know there will be more stormy days ahead but after the rain comes the sunshine! I can say I've come a ways since that dreadful day ,I was in a pretty dark place but once I decided to let that sunshine back in,I have seen a little more light each day :) Heck life is crazy and uncertain,yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift...that's why it's called the present!............so despite the constant,uncomfortable,numbing,unpredictable pain :x we have to accept that present as if it's the last thing we may ever get and enjoy it,however small or simple.I've never been much of a strong swimmer and even though this bpi feels like I'm in over my head at times,I can't just allow myself to sink to the bottom...gotta keep on kickin! we all do! :D One day at a time.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Becoming Unstoppable we are All on this path,
I think Armstrong post some up a First step ;) What a great post :D
The topic is the unstoppable and is a great inspiration forsure.
But I seen on the posts overtime from our injuries at birth and latter in life the awesome will. and a fighting spirt that grows for all of us over time to do our own amazing things no matter how big or small things, we find to adapt to in-spite of the physical and emotional pain in trying to overcome what we can overtime . To me the most awesome thing is the growth of a fight spirit and the act of trying. When the injury happens at birth the fighting spirt happens from Awesome parents that encourage the child try, My mom did the same for me. Latter in life the fighting spirit happens by our will to overcome. I learn this when my good arm got injured and the will and fighting spirt I gain overtime from my birth erbs. Our pain relief is a quest to find help for life the fighting spirit comes in the act in our trys and the focus of doing so. To me I hurt less because of thinking about a way to try and the act of doing so, when after doing so I get even a higher degree of pain, I never was in despair when I was in this act of trying. When my trys did not work out I focus on What did ;) We all try we all move forwards ,and we all suffer a heighten pain. When the doctors cant help you for now :roll: the quest to get the Right referral might or future treatment may you can never stop fighting to find help, No help or hope was in my time not today :roll:If you cant find that help then, Focus on the pain relief for now and take your choose in meds and find new ones as you can,Dont stay on on one med to long, because over time it takes more and high does to get the same pain relief ;) Stay unstoppable with your trys and find the med that help so when you try the pain is less it is a quest for sure and So Need to do ;) :D We are All unstoppable because of trys and what we have learn to adapt to in time. Inspiration comes from all sights here and so many Posts ;) :D What a GREAT THING!!!!
I know Mr positive, I will never change :shock: :D
Tom