Alpha Lipoic Acid for Neuropathic Injury Treatment

Articles & Publications on BPI related sciences
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Alpha Lipoic Acid for Neuropathic Injury Treatment

Post by Christopher »

I'm researching treatments and causes of High Blood Pressure due to my BPI. My blood pressure has been high (150/95 on average) ever since my injury (12/15/02), and my pulse as well (80-90s). Before injury is was always at a stable 120/80 and pulse between 55-65. I was an athlete and took my health pretty seriously.

I've been on Hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) for about 5 years and it's not really working so I'm researching alternatives. I believe I injured my Autonomic & Sympathetic Nervous System as well causing the blood pressure & pulse increase.

Alpha Lipoic Acid seemingly supports the peripheral nervous system and even has beneficial effects on the healing of injured nerves, neuropathic pain, and even high blood pressure.

I'm posting this so newly injured folks put this supplement in their diet to increase functional return and possibly decrease neuropathic pain. Here are some articles I've read supporting its usage.

QUESTION: Has anyone else had Blood Pressure issues since injury???

Christopher

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... 1-4-22.pdf
Journal of Brachial Plexus and Peripheral Nerve Injury

Alpha-Lipoic Acid to prevent neural damage after crush injury to the rat sciatic nerve

Maurizio Ranieri1, Manuela Sciuscio1, Annamaria Cortese1, Marilena Stasi1, Francesco Panza2, Marisa Megna1, Pietro Fiore3 and Andrea Santamato3*

Abstract
Objective: Crush injury to the sciatic nerve causes oxidative stress. Alfa Lipoic acid (a-LA) is a
neuroprotective metabolic antioxidant. This study was designed to investigate the antioxidant
effects of pretreatment with a-LA on the crush injury of rat sciatic nerve.
Methods: Forty rats were randomized into four groups. Group I and Group II received saline (2
ml, intraperitoneally) and a-LA (100 mg/kg, 2 ml, intraperitoneally) in the groups III and IV at the 24 and 1 hour prior to the crush injury. In groups II, III and IV, the left sciatic nerve was exposed and compressed for 60 seconds with a jeweler's forceps. In Group I (n = 10), the sciatic nerve was explored but not crushed. In all groups of rats, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) activities, as well as malondialdehyde (MDA) levels were measured in samples of sciatic nerve tissue.

Results: Compared to Group I, Group II had significantly decreased tissue SOD and CAT activitiesand elevated MDA levels indicating crush injury (p < 0.05). In the a-LA treatment groups (groupsIII and IV), tissue CAT and SOD activities were significantly increased and MDA levels significantlydecreased at the first hour (p < 0.05) and on the 3rd day (p < 0.05). There was no significantdifference between a-LA treatment groups (p > 0.05).

Conclusion: A-LA administered before crush injury of the sciatic nerve showed significant protective effects against crush injury by decreasing the oxidative stress. A-LA should be considered in the treatment of peripheral nerve injuries, but further studies are needed to explain the mechanism of its neuroprotective effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2939615/
SAME AS ABOVE, FROM NCBI

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Articles ... c_Aci.aspx
Top Ten Ways To Feel Better With Alpha Lipoic Acid

EDIT

2) Feel Better With The R-Form: Know What ALA Is Not
There are two forms of ALA (called S-form and R-form) and when I refer to it, I am talking about R-form alpha lipoic acid because it is the naturally occurring form in the body and is bound to protein, acting as an essential cofactor in biological systems. S-form is a synthetic alpha lipoic acid and is not very biologically active. When you take alpha lipoic acid, it is ideal for you to get the R-form because it will be able to bind with and permeate cells to support mitochondria. The S-form is not effective.

Alpha lipoic acid is different from alpha linolenic acid, which is an omega-3 fatty acid that is found in plants such as flaxseed. It is completely different from, but often confused with, the ALA we are talking about in this article.

There is another “ALA” that confuses things even more. Linoleic acid is occasionally confused with alpha lipoic acid and alpha linolenic acid (the omega-3). Don’t be confused. Linoleic acid is an omega-6 fatty acid that comes from vegetable oils such as corn, safflower, and sunflower, but it is also found in flax. Just remember that you want R-form alpha lipoic acid—the potent antioxidant that will make you lean and energized.

EDIT

9) Treat Pain With ALA And Recover Faster
The antioxidant effect of ALA makes it a beneficial treatment for nerve pain and sciatica—pain or weakness in the lower back from injury to the sciatic nerve. Taking ALA in conjunction with essential fatty acids has been shown to decrease pain levels, and when paired with a rehabilitation program, it is even more effective.

One study in the journal International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology found that giving a supplement of ALA and gamma linolenic acid in conjunction with rehabilitation to sufferers of lower back pain with sciatica significantly lowered pain ratings and decreased feelings of numbness and tingling. The outcome from the ALA-GLA supplement was much greater thanthe results in a group of back pain patients who only underwent rehab. The ALA-GLA supplement group also had a dramatic decrease in reports of stabbing and burning pain in the lumbar region, and had much better mobility and quality of life.

Improvements were likely due to reduced oxidative stress and inflammation, which led to a decrease in nerve damage. Researchers were impressed that there appeared to be nerve regeneration from the ALA.

10) ALA Protects The Heart And Lowers Blood Pressure
ALA has been shown to provide cardiovascular protection due to its antioxidant effect. ALA can lower blood pressure, prevent atherosclerosis, and improve insulin health, and body composition—all of which decrease cardiovascular risk factors. One study of mice that were fed a high fat diet found that ALA supplementation reduced atherosclerotic lesions by 55 percent, while decreasing body weight gain by 40 percent.

Atherosclerotic lesions produce a hardening of the vascular arteries, which leads to heart disease and greater risk of heart attacks. In this study, researchers found that because ALA improved metabolism, it also appeared to have an affect on appetite suppression, while simultaneously stimulating higher levels of physical activity. The mice had more energy and were more “motivated.”

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/alphali ... icacid.htm
Why People Use Alpha Lipoic Acid

1) Peripheral Neuropathy

Peripheral neuropathy can be caused by injury, nutritional deficiencies, chemotherapy or by conditions such as diabetes, Lyme disease, alcoholism, shingles, thyroid disease, and kidney failure. Symptoms can include pain, burning, numbness, tingling, weakness, and itching.

Alpha lipoic acid is thought to work as an antioxidant in both water and fatty tissue, enabling it to enter all parts of the nerve cell and protect it from damage.

Preliminary studies suggest that alpha lipoic acid may help. In one of the largest studies on the use of alpha lipoic acid, 181 people took 600 mg, 1200 mg or 1800 mg of alpha lipoic acid a day or a placebo. After 5 weeks, alpha lipoic acid improved symptoms. The dose that was best tolerated while still providing benefit was 600 mg once daily.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Alpha Lipoic Acid for Neuropathic Injury Treatment

Post by Christopher »

amazon.com reviews of R-ALA for peripheral neuropathy (nerve pain):

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-A ... ords=R-ALA
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Christopher,
I believe I read somewhere re BPI"S, Both Obstetric and Traumatic, have high Blood Pressure issues in common....I certainly have It and I was taking "Hydroclor....zide" too, it did nothing for me either BUT "Amlodipine Besylate" (its a generic) does help alot and does the job for me.....just thought i'd put in my "2 cents" . 8-)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
Christopher

Level of Injury:

BPI Related Surgeries:

~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Thanks Carolyn!

I will look into it, as many "beta-blockers" (which I have been prescribed) cause depression which I am susceptible to.

Cheers,
Christopher
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Me too Christopher...I am on maintenance meds for Depression...also a Secondary medical "injury" for some "BPI-ERS" .
HUggz for Ya,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74 8-)