New member as of 7/20/12

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
FsanchezGSXR

New member as of 7/20/12

Post by FsanchezGSXR »

hi everyone! my name is Francisco, im 25 years old. i live in California, i was in a motorcycle accident on january 31, 2011 and ended up with BPI on my right arm. i received a brachial plexus exploration and nerve transfer surgery to get some arm movement back on june 27,2011. i have damage to my C5,C6,C7 the best they could do with my C5 is try and get sensory nerves, and with my C6,C7 they used both my costal nerves and my shoulder shrugging nerves to try to get some shoulder rotation movement and elbow flection movement. im currently struggling to keep my fingers from freezing on me, my in index finger movement is good, my middle finger bends about 45%, my ring finger bent about 25%and is swollen, and my pinky bent at 45%, i work on them often but it triggers my pain levels to raise, wondering if anyone knows of easier ways to get them to bend and how often they work on them. im currently on Gabapentin 600MG at 1800MG a day, and Hydrocodone 10MG for severe pain. this injury has changed my life drasticly! my pain levels shoot from 1 to 8 through out all day, i cant sleep and i dont have a sleeping schedule i dont wanna say im a whole different person but it has changed things about me, and i hate it. im moody, short tempered, tend to explode easy and depressed at times.. im trying to better my life and accept my injury but i wont accept living with this pain! i felt like i was the only one with BPI until i found this forum! sorry its so long but i would love to hear how people are getting by.. thank you
s8n

Re: New member as of 7/20/12

Post by s8n »

you live in CA get a pot card it really helps with the pain. i'm 5 yrs post op and well i never got anything back but more pain but i found pot helps with the burning that comes with it. my life has changed drastically and i try to keep good spirits but it does test you from time to time. i also take depression meds on top of my gabapentin,percocet,and flexeril. it helps alot with the depression. i would definitely talk to the dr about depression if i were you. it can really hurt any relations you have with anyone. it sure hurt my life and you also risk hurting yourself without help. sorry you joined our club that no one wants to join but glad you found here to talk to like people as it really helps to know others are in the same shoes. hope this helps and take care.
D~
johnmetalman
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: hit by car november 26 07 operated on oct 08 ruptured radial nerve with sural grafts and nerve transfer of median to radial in forearm. radial nerve has some recovery all other nerves are intact.

Post by johnmetalman »

Hi my name is john and I suffered a similar accident at a similar age of 25. I paralyzed about 50% of my right arm and hand(dominant). I had nerve grafts and a transfer at 11 months post injury. All I can say is dont give up faith and exercise the arm all you can. Explore all medicinal options available to you there in california. I use alot of herbal remedies to cure pain and other ailments. I only required a small amount of pharmeceutical substances following surgeries. Im 4 years post injury and doing tenfold better now. Don't worry too much its kind of dark right after the accident but trust me the more time and recovery that goes by the more life gets way better. At 11 months p.I. my surgery gave me alot of recovery so I can only imagine with yours around 6 months p.I. there's alot of potential. Hang in there bro!
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Hi Francisco,

I was injured when I was 18, I avulsed all five of my nerves and I had the intercostal surgery five months later. I have my bicep, but that is all. As far as the pain, it has been there from the start and is still part of life. As you describe, it fluctuates from low to high at random. I don't take or have I ever taken any medications for the phantom pain. So how do I deal with it? The best way I can describe how I do it is I do life to the fullest every day, I keep my mind and body busy and active. I was very athletic before my injury and I have been very athletic ever since the accident. I play golf, in fact I just got back from the 75th World Open One Armed Golf Championship at St Andrews a few weeks ago. I water ski, snow ski, do triathlons and have done just about any other sport I have wanted to do. I went to college and took a full load of classes, I graduated with a degree in finance and have been in financial services since I graduated. I am now 44 years old, married, two young childen, own my own wealth management company and love life. Other than maybe a few athletic goals I had when I was young, my life is pretty close to what I thought it would be at this stage of life.

What is different is the many ways I have been able to be a positive influence in other people lives because I have a paralyzed arm and the amazing things I get to do because I am a "challenged athlete". I have spoken to thousands of people on overcoming lifes challenges and have met people all over the world because of this injury.

I am writing all this to give you an alternative view of living with this injury, not only can life go on but it can get better.

I am always happy and willng to speak with anyone with this injury, call me at 818-636-8109 or PM me your number and I will call you. As an added offer to you since you are in Lancaster, I would be happy to arrange a time to get together in person, I am in the San Fernando Valley.

My Best,
Dan
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Hi Francisco,

I second what Dan says about getting back to what you liked doing before you got hurt. I was a runner and cyclist, and Dan was responsible for designing an arm sling that allowed me to return to the sports I enjoyed. It's true that you're never the same, but I get a lot of kudos from people who see me at events and competing against able-bodied athletes.

The pain is bad, no doubt. I've suggested it before in this forum - get a doctor who specializes in pain if you have the means. You can get a more focused review on what meds will help best and possibly some non-pharma options too. I'm over 3 years out and still working on pain management.

Like a lot of people here, I got hurt in a horrific situation where I was pretty lucky to escape with only the BP injury. So since I can't go back in time, I figured I best not take my remaining time for granted.

Best,
MW
FsanchezGSXR

Post by FsanchezGSXR »

Hi everyone

Thank you for all the replies, It's 5:05 a.m and I still can't get sleep. I know everyone's injury is different, and the main reason why I can't sleep most night is because my elbow is really sensitive, so when I lay down on my back I need to prop my right elbow on something really soft. So far i can only sleep on my back and my left (good) side. My arm is also really sensitive to cold temperature! So jumping out the shower always kills me. I live in Lancaster, which is really cold during the winter and crazy hot during the summer, I currently have the A.C at 79 degrees which is ok. I currently live with my parents, due to the fact that I can't work.

I don't have health insurance so I'm currently on a program through USC community hospital called ORSA. I used to be on Lyrica 75MG which I had to give up, due to the fact that it was $300 per bottle. I know I'm new to the injury and fresh out of surgery but I'm desperate to get my pain levels lowered, so I've heard marijuana has helped people with the pain so im gonna give it a try, I also heard accupucture might help. I signed up for a pain management doctor but since things are free for me, they give me the go around! Hospital appointments are roughly 5 hours long!

Since my accident I've set goals for myself and signed myself up at my local community college, My accident was truly a life changing experience so I am going to change my life for the better, I quit drinking and Since I'm on norco due to severe pain I'm trying to lower my monthly pill count to completely quitting. My hobbies were riding my motorcycle, playing video games, and drawing.. All three of those went out the window.
FsanchezGSXR

Post by FsanchezGSXR »

And since things couldn't get any worst, next month I have a court date, facing legal problem due to my accident. Just gotta leave it in the hands of god and see what he has planned for me. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. :-)
billvxii
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident Sept 15,2011. R BPI. R Scapula break. 4 Clavicular breaks. T4 & T8 vertebrae breaks.All ribs broken. 4 replaced with titanium ribs.351GRE8

Re: New msember as of 7/20/12

Post by billvxii »

Man, I understand your pain. I have narcotics for when its really bad. Maybe Maryjane will help but myself, I use Gabapentine about 2800mg daily. Mine was MC also. Rearended by a car doing about110+mph as opposed to my 70mph. I think I tried to hold onto the bike as I was pulled onto her hood with my already broken back. Anyway, you have a better outlook than me already, your fingers move some. Keep working at it, stay upbeat and get sleep whenever you can. Get pillows for your arm to be on and the pain will subside over time, or you get used to it, I'm not sure. Things will get better for you and you need to believe that always! I know, I'm trying too! Talk to Dan he seems to have ideas also.
Good Luck
FsanchezGSXR

Post by FsanchezGSXR »

Yeah I have no choice but to stay positive and fight the pain. Bill, I can't move my arm, I lost the use of my while arm. Just trying to keep my fingers from perminately locking, and yes thank you Dan! You truly do have a positive outlook on living with this injury :-)
wafloodzone

Post by wafloodzone »

Hey Francisco,

Phizer, makers of lyrica, have a few assistance programs that may help http://www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/pag ... ndAll.aspx. You might also try amitriptyline. It's an antidepressant but also assists with the burning pain. I only take it at night because it has a sedative affect for me. This combination is the only thing that has worked for me and hasn't left me with that doped-up fog feeling. Can't help much with the sleeping. I can't lay flat so I've been sleeping in my recliner for a year. I've tried a wedge but for some reason my arm likes the angle of the recliner.

Hope this helps,

Lisa