Dislocated Shoulder

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
wafloodzone

Dislocated Shoulder

Post by wafloodzone »

Hey all,

Since my TBPI in July of last year my shoulder has been dislocated. The humerus bone is now at a 45 degree angel pointing into my side. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,

Lisa
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Dislocated Shoulder

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Lisa, :D
I wonder?? :roll: My scapula was broken at birth along with erbs :shock: My arm is a permit dislocation because of the collar bone position :shock:

How can I help?? :roll:
Tom
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

hi,
my right arm is also just hanging there but i do not have the problem you mention. however, i did have an issue with my wrist, it is nonfunctional, bending inward. i guessed it was because the slings i wear have a tendency to carry the wrist/hand in a way where it tends to bend into my body. i knew that over time the wrist would develop a lasting bend inwards due to this so i started to wear a wrist brace to straighten the wrist. i wear the brace while also wearing my slings. i started this practice about 9 months ago and now the wrist is 95% in correct orientation. i also continue to exercise the wrist inward and otuward, so to speak. so i'm thinking that maybe something in your daily life may be "training" your arm to this orientation. like a sling, or holding it that way, or resting on your side which allows the arm to hang across your body. but i could be totally off the mark. in any event try, if possible to find a way to move the arm as much as possible in the 45% orientation "away" from your body. maybe a stiff pillow up under the arm for a start. good luck.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Djk :D
You were on the mark ;) :shock: My wrist is like yours from birth erbs good thing I could grasp Over hand to hold a Semi steering wheel :shock: With me :roll: my grasp over my life ,improved over hand over time, squeezing a ball ;) My best thing for bad crapping in wrist is a cold or heated treatment. After a day driving a semi my hand would cramp in a ball , Sometimes :shock: :evil: Ouch :D Trying comes with Ouch For Sure :shock: ;) :D
Gasp to holed thing is a big plus to adapt, I think :roll:
Tom
wafloodzone

Post by wafloodzone »

DJK,

I was wearing a wrist brace with my old sling. I have a new one since my nerve transfer surgery that keeps my wrist straight but doesn't seem to be helping my hemures stay in place (the old sling didn't either). I have my GP checking with an orthopedic surgeon and the dr's that did the nerve transfer. Hopefully between the 3 of them we'll get it figured out.

Thanks
Fred4545
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 48 yr male with BPI from auto accident on 8/07/11. Suspected C5-T1 avulsion from early EMG but recently have flexed bicep. Had many serious and life-threatening injuries to deal with first, but am now doing much better. Just had nerve transfer surgery at Mayo by Dr. Skinner to reinnervate deltoid and tricep. Once this is working, we will move on to nerve/muscle transfer for dealing with my hand.

Post by Fred4545 »

Hi Lisa,

You and I had our accidents at the same time last year and we seem to suffer some of the same ailments. My shoulder is sublacated (fun word for dislocated meaning it hurts like hell). It has taken me almost 7 months to get to the point where my shoulder is strong enough that I don't where a brace/sling anymore. The key for me was more of the PT focused on strength and stability, not really comfort or pain relief. I'm now to the point where I don't where a sling ever and can swing my arm somewhat "normally" while walking without my shoulder popping out and falling to my knees in pain. Sorry, I don't have anything more to offer than more PT and the comfort of words of encouragement from friends and family.

Best of luck and best regards for comfort and improvement. Let me know if I can help or if you want to talk.

Jeff
pjc10387
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BPI on the right shoulder due to a motorcycle accident i stretch 4 of 5 nerves the same nerve that work hand movements and that good ole funnybone was not injured luckly. accident date was July 27 2009 corrective surgery was february 2010 I went in for a muscle transfer and to reconnected nerves at mayo clinic

Post by pjc10387 »

If anything is getting stiff you should continue to stretch so you can get the max range of motion pt is the best way to go weather you do workouts alone or with helP witch would be better cause they can give resistance.
wafloodzone

Post by wafloodzone »

So the thought is since there is no muscle to hold the shoulder in place I should go ahead and have it fused now. It's only been 2 months since my nerve transfer surgery but they weren't able to save C5 so I guess I won't ever get control of the shoulder back. Fusion just sounds so final. If I get it fused now there won't be any options for me if there is a medical breakthrough in the future. If I don't get it fused now they're afraid that the floating humerus could be causing scaring to the ligaments that might affect elbow flexion which is what I'm hopefully going to gain from the nerve transfer. I suppose that I should do the fusion rather than risk the ligament damage. I need to do more research but it doesn't sound to me like either choice is without drawbacks. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the input.
PatE
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right brachial plexus avulsion of C5, 6, 7, 8 and T1 from 1979 car accident. Wore sling for 30 years. Gracilis and Trapezius transfer 2011. Wrist fusion and finger tendon release 2012.

Post by PatE »

wafloodzone - Please see my new post under "Results of Trapezius Transfer". It might be worth your time to have a consultation with Dr. Elhassan at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The transfer was the answer to my dislocated shoulder as an alternative to fusion. Best of luck.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

wafloodzone wrote:So the thought is since there is no muscle to hold the shoulder in place I should go ahead and have it fused now. It's only been 2 months since my nerve transfer surgery but they weren't able to save C5 so I guess I won't ever get control of the shoulder back. Fusion just sounds so final. If I get it fused now there won't be any options for me if there is a medical breakthrough in the future. If I don't get it fused now they're afraid that the floating humerus could be causing scaring to the ligaments that might affect elbow flexion which is what I'm hopefully going to gain from the nerve transfer. I suppose that I should do the fusion rather than risk the ligament damage. I need to do more research but it doesn't sound to me like either choice is without drawbacks. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the input.
Hi Lisa,
I considered shoulder fusion and amputation for years, even though I had a number of successful surgeries, I was tired of the spontaneous lifestyle limitations the hanging arm imposed.

I have a friend back in Vermont, extremely athletic and physically active lumberjack who say that shoulder fusion was the hardest choice of surgery he did, but the best one by far. It gave him should stability again, so he go run, jump, swing, roll, dance, bounce, etc etc with out concern of his shoulder flailing about or knocking out of socket. He had the surgery about 15 years ago or more, so it may have changed. He had it done by Dr Waters at Mass General (Harvard University).

I think it a matter of pros and cons. It's not easy to step into something with the hopes that the future will change what is available to us. Do the best with what you've got now, if future surgeries will come to change what is available for us, they very might offer ability to "un-fuse" a shoulder. I've been waiting for that "silver bullet" for about 10 years. Do what you can to prepare for it, but live the best you can today.

Best of Luck in your decision!
What ever you choose, you can trust we're all rooting for you!

Christopher

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:30 am.