Social Security Review

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Brandon_3

Social Security Review

Post by Brandon_3 »

Does anyone get Social Security Disability and have you had a review? I just got one in the mail and am worried because I have had a muscle transfer surgery that helped me bend my arm but it is still completely useless. I am just curious if anyone has went through the process and what are the requirements to get social security in the first place. Is having no use of one arm enough in the first place.
Thanks Yall
Brandon
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Social Security Review

Post by Carolyn J »

Brandon,
Document,document document what youCannot Do,Need Assist with in your Activities of Daily Living.
Details are important, examples are good to document too. Attach extra pages.
Don't be afraid to Appeal 2 or 3 times.
Good Luck, Brandon.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

You need to hire an attorney. you need an attorney that specializes in Disability law. There is no cost to you. if you win your case a portion of your settlement is used to pay the attorney. you will need to prove that you can not work & can not do anything to earn a living.

Bill
sprince123
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: tbpi

Post by sprince123 »

I'm interested in this as well. In your above post, you stated that you have to be able to prove you cannot work at all. My daughter has a sever tbpi, and cannot move her left arm hand or fingers at all. I don't see that this will cause her to be unable to work AT ALL? So does anyone qualify for SS?
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You only need to see a lawyer to find out, they are on the Tv alot :shock: Bring all the records including any other thing that are be taken for other med things , every thing counts hear, to the Lawyer and let him tell you your next step. The lawyer gets part for sure and a one time fee, Every case is different and the lawyer will let you know if they will take the case then there will be merit to go forwards. If they don, t take your case ask WHY :roll: there has to be a reason :roll:
Tom
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

due to the pain and burning, a person with a BPI would not be able to KEEP a job due to the extensive pain and burning, causing them a severe attendance problem. i dont know of any employer that would tolerate that. after going through many jobs, you will not be hired by anyone. it is a fine line between attendance problem and americans with disability act. this is a very complicated injury in more than one way.
Master DIVER TOM

OPPS :shock:
The review is just what happens in time. The key is what your doctor puts in writing for this review for you. Just because you had a operation does not say your arm is fine and your doctor is releasing you for work. The point is the doctor should state that you are not able to work and are still under doctors care that statement will go a long way in the review. There is a sure thing that you will be in doctors care for years to come because of your injuries .

The part about seeing a lawyer is very important when these injuries happen. It also important to let your doctor know that you are going to apply for SSDI. Your doctor can outline your injury and the meds your taking and that you will be in doctors care for a long time because of your injuries and that because of your injuries and being under doctors care and that you will not be release to work because of your injurys. it will go along way when applying for SSDI and seeing a lawyer bring all other medical records and other records of injury you might have and also meds you are taking.

I hope this helps, what your doctor will put in writing will help in a review or applying for SSDI and a lawyer you pick.

Tom
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

I was hit by a car in July of 1968 which left me with a BPI and numerous fractures of upper and lower extremities. after two years of job searching, I was hired as a full time employee.
I continued to work for the next 31 years. many days the pain I endured was unimaginable & yes there were many days when I was unable to go to work.

the tipping point for benefits is whether you have a marketable skill or ability. In my case I had gone to college. so while I could not work with my hands, I could shuffle papers at a desk, Even if you had worked using your hands, the fact that you no longer can use both arms is not enough to meet the standard for disability. They believe that you must consider another field even if it means you earn less in that field.

If you can show that you no longer have the physical & mental(education) capacity to earn money then you may meet the standard for disability benefits.

Bill
Master DIVER TOM

What bothers me here is there is a way to get SSDI I think for you guys If your doctor would only write that you need to be on SSDI and you will be on it for sometime :roll: There is a 6 month waiting period and by your post you seem to be not able to work for a long time trying to find treatments and surgeries that work. The point being is your under doctors care and base on the requirement of SSDI of ( do you aspect to be unable to work for a year ??? Then you are applying based on being under doctors care than you just being possible eligibility base on your record along. It is in fact a sad place dealing with your injuries and still trying to have something coming in :evil:

I hope this help so you might be able to apply base on being under doctors care???

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

I thought I would add to what I said :roll:
I know how hard it was to find a way to work with birth erbs starting at 14 because I needed to work .
I know by posting here it takes a long time to find treatment and surgeries. That is why I said you might con-cider talking to your doctor about them stating that you will be under doctors care to receive treatment and surgeries when you apply for SSDI. Maybe by being under doctors will go further than record alone?? Some have gotten SSDI and now are going for a review, If your not cure than the doctor should state that you are under doctors care it also could include your pain level and other things your taking meds for :roll: There is another part of being under doctors care is to be retrained so you might find a way to find employment with your limitations ????

One way is a states agency called (The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation) if after you reach a level ware you can be train great if not then who ever retraining place you pick and if they say that you cant be retrain and its put with your current record than this should help in keeping or applying for SSDI.

In my life time I have done these steps but in the end I got SSDI because I got my good arm ripped up driving a semi after driving a semi for 25 years but the retrainier could not find away to retain me because of my injuries I got in my good arm and my birth erbs. :evil:

This is just a thought and things I did. This is a possible approach to try ??? There has to be a way that works so you dont get denied ??? I know how hard it was to find a way to work and finding a employer that would not judge me just base on my limitation over the years.

I can only hope this helps with SSDI ???

Tom