Surgery Postponed!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Gavinsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born on May 18th 2010 and weighed 11 lbs 15 oz! Needless to say he got stuck as I was pushing him out and as a result has a "moderate to severe" BPI of the left arm. We are at the 4 month mark and have just seen Dr. Adelson, a neurosurgeon at Phoenix Children's, to discuss our options. We haven't had an MRI or EMG done yet. I am feeling overwhelmed and panicked about my son's recovery, therapy, and finding the right surgeon. I was so hopeful that he was going to recover w/out surgery but every week that goes by I have started to come to the realization that he most likely will need one if not many surgeries to improve his quality of life. I also constantly worry about if I am doing enough to help him get the best results. Lastly, I am just really angry. Angry at myself for not asking more questions at my Ob appointments and angry at my doctor for not doing the necessary tests to find out why I was measuring so big to avoid this entire outcome.

Surgery Postponed!

Post by Gavinsmom »

Today was a great day! We were supposed to be at the hospital for our son's 6 hour nerve surgery but instead we were at home playing. Our evaluation the day before went great and Dr. Adelson determined that Gavin has made such good progress that he does not need nerve surgery after all. He is going to be re-evaluated in 4 weeks and at that time we will probably have to do a much shorter surgery to remove scar tissue. I will take a 1 1/2 hour surgery versus a 6 hour surgery any day. Gavin is pulling his hand to his mouth and eye and he reaches out for pretty much anything he can get his hands on. The main issue we are having is the internal rotation. Dr. Adelson is hoping that removing the scar tissue will help the rotation issues and also allow Gavin to avoid having secondary surgery. I am one happy mommy right now! :D

Jenn
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Surgery Postponed!

Post by jmar »

wow that is great.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Great news, Gavin's Mom!!!
Your little guy will surprise you many times. Celebrate the milestones. :)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
KimW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a right obstetrical injury. She is 16.
Two surgeries include nerve graft and muscle release.
A great kid that plays soccer, rides horses, plays the piano
and clarinet.

Post by KimW »

Great news!!! So happy for you both! Here's hoping for continued improvement! :D

Kim
Kim West
"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Lady Bird Johnson
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

yay!!
~Mel/23/LOBPI