IEP & 504 info?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
angelsmom1

IEP & 504 info?

Post by angelsmom1 »

Looking for some info on IEP's and 504? Our daughter was takeing off her IEP May 2010 and I didn't feel shee should have been, had ALOT of teacher issuse (the 1st grade one -evil, Kindergarden- was a great teacher) anyway is there somewere I can get info of OBP Iep's & 504's all I can find are for ADHD. Thanks, melanie , mom of angelina robp
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: IEP & 504 info?

Post by richinma2005 »

Hi,

Have you done a search of these message boards? There are a multitude of threads available about this topic. If you have a specific question, I can try and help.

rich
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

Yes I've done the search, trying to find how to request one, asking is doing no good, more info on 504's for BP kids, school said they can't/ don't them for BP kids....thanks
MegBalcom

Post by MegBalcom »

I was told if I was having trouble with an IEP or the 504 plan for my son, to just keep pushing transition because the children can be in transition until they are 18.
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

?? what is transition ? never heard of it.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Well that is just silly. The 504 plan falls under the Civil rights act, and covers people with disabilities. Your child is diabled, and therefore qualifies to be covered-however, what you are seeking for your child may or may not be part of a 504 plan:

"No otherwise qualified individual with handicaps in the United States ... shall, solely by reason of her or his handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." Every public school fall under this regulation for assistance.

Read more: How to Get a 504 Plan for a Child | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4542063_plan-ch ... z0tqtMItlE

So you need to request IN WRITING a meeting to discuss getting your child on a 504. If they deny you, make sure they PUT IT IN WRITING, with and Explanation of why they are refusing. Just that piece of paper could -if you pursue it -could mean they lose the federal funding they enjoy as a public school. (assuming you go to a public school)-if it is not a public school, they do not have to offer 504's (they don't receive federal funds if a private school).

So what kind of accommodations may you request on a 504? depends on age, but here are some examples:

Extra time on tests due to writing or need to stretch the arm.
The ability to get up and move more often due to postural issues
An extra set of book at home
A note taker
a set of notes from the teacher so S/He doesn't tire out so easily
Alternative Gym choices
Special Seating/desk
More opportunities to go to get to locker
They can have OT and PT evaluate and suggest ,implement exercises to maintain function
Access to keyboard or computer

and many others----as you see they all relate to her access to the education due to her disability.
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

Oh Wow! this is a big help. THANK YOU so very much,....
had no idea to do this in writing, the school keeps ingnoring me, or just flat out blowing me off.
Thanks a bunch
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

Just wanted to let you all know we never got the 504, they did hold a 5min meeting to tell me know Angel couldn't have it due to nothing being wrong with her mental learning so she wouldn't need it. Anyone know of the next step?
Also looking for the web site that has the school info you can print out and fill in on what your child can and can not do at school/ PE. thanks all :0) Melanie mom of Angelina age 8 RObPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Write the Administraor of Special needs in your School District and request n appeal. Next take another person to every meeting with any school personnel...never go alone. Another person can take notes and/or operate a recorder for you; another idea is to contact a disability lawyer in your area. Is there a Parent Advocacy program in your area? That's who to take to meetings. Educate yourself about the Federal Law regarding 504's Physical disabilities are qualifying disabilities for 504's assistence.Educate yourself on your Rights and of appeal. of Appeal.
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom2010
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son BPI at Birth already registered cannot remember my information !

Post by brandonsmom2010 »

Sorry about the late response. But my son age 12, has a fabulous 504 plan. His has alot of as needed provisions. He gets a second set of books!!! Longer time on tests, dictated test responses, especially on essays responses. I can't remember it all, except he gets an alpha writer, its a little key board that when you hook up to the printer, prints your essay or whatever you type in. His teachers were very instrumental in helping with the 504, but it is not always that easy. I went round and round with my older daughters teachers. And yes, physical limitations do QUALIFY for a 504
Gayle mom of Brandon ROBPI