Field Trips

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
angelsmom1

Field Trips

Post by angelsmom1 »

All these issuses am haveing this week ;) Anyway new one,

:) What does the school do for your child for Field Trips ?? :D

(will be calling the school again monday...sigh... the are going to go skating and bowel ceter, and won't let her do them due to insurs. reasons so sould the come up with something for her to do?? hum..) :?
Thanks for the help, melanie mom of angel~ropbi
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Field Trips

Post by marieke »

who won't let her do them? You or the school?
If it is the school then they should come up with something for her to be able to do, if it is you though then I think you may have to help out and find a solution as well...
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

its not right that a school would be able to discriminate against one student, just because they have a disability. i dont see any reason why a kid can't learn to skate (i sucked at it when i tried), i went to a school sponsored event the first time i skated... i dont see why the school that your child attends...
~Mel/23/LOBPI
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

The School is worryed if she gets on skates she can fall and hurt her arm, dumb becuse I want her to try everything :)
but they are worryed about being sued, like we'd do that. any kid could get hurt skateing or boweling. but she can't pickup the balls is what our daughter told me. was waondering what other people have done for diffent feild trips, when there was a trip they can't do.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

If you want her to try, then they are violating her civil rights, violating the 504 laws. It is ridiculous the excuses they have provided, given that they would have parental consent. In reality they CANNOT say she can not do it, legally they cannot. So if you want her to be able to try, just mention civil rights law 504, and that you are giving her permission to do it. If they still refuse, then contact an advocate (frequently you can find ones who do it for free even).

rich
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

This gets me thinking wht if I give them a writin' note/letter stating she can?
has any ones child gotten their BP arm hurt from skateing???
I would feel awful if i wrote the letter and she ended up pulling out the surgey stuff or got hurt more.
just need some more thoughts on it, to make my own choice. Thanks
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

most of the time, when i fall, i fall towards my uninjured side (thats how i sprained my wrist at work- lol) most of the time, you put your arms out to guard your fall, if she doesnt put her injured arm out, she probably wont hurt it. ;) let her try it, but be protective- elbow pads.... wrist guards... she should be fine! and the wall going around the rink is your best friend!!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

If you are available volunteer to go on the trip. I bowl left handed and did quite well so their should be no reason not to allow bowling. As for the skating any child can get hurt from a fall, bpi or not.

When I entered high school the school made a big deal about my arm and my mother signed a waiver of some sort for insurance purposes. I thought that was horrible but to think they would try that today. Take Rich's advice and don't let them make your child feel left and disabled.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I figured skated competitevely until I was 28 years old! I started skating at age 4, then lessons at age 6.. so yeah, BPI kids can skate! LOL

Can they get her a "buddy" to skate with her (an older child who is able to skate, or volunteer, or as someone suggested you go along and help out?
Attachments
me skating at Provincials in 2004
me skating at Provincials in 2004
n783345693_557978_6077.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Please do not hold your daughter back because she might get hurt...It is important that bpi kids are treated just like uninjured kids so they dont feel like their injury runs their lives. I have ice skated a few times and I am not good yet but I didnt break anything. I used to roller skate and roller blade a lot and never got hurt! It was great exercise and so much fun!
The school has to let her as long as you say its ok.
Good luck,
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN