Awareness week is approaching!

Tell us your Awareness efforts!
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Awareness week is approaching!

Post by hope16_05 »

UBPN celebrates Brachial Plexus Injury Awareness during the third week of October the 18th through the 24th. Now is this time to start getting ready for awareness week! It would be great if any support groups would be willing to get together sometime during that week.

The awareness committee will soon be posting a list of things that anyone can do to spread awarenees. In the meantime, feel free to visit the awareness pages of the web site!

For anyone wanting to participate, We will be collecting recipies to create our very first cookbook. Please feel free to send recipies to amy@ubpn.org The deadline for recipe submission will be September 26, 2009 This will make it possible for the cookbooks to be available for purchase during awareness week!

Lets make awarenees week rock this year!!! Start planning now and if you have any fabulous ideas, please post them so others may incorporate them into celebrating awareness week too!

Amy

Awareness Committee Chair
amy@ubpn.org
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Awareness week is approaching!

Post by hope16_05 »

Bumping this up a bit, please if you have the abiliy to plan an event (something small at the office or at home , or even a huge community event!) Spread the word and stop this injury!!!
Amy
Awareness Committee Chair
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Bumping this up! Awareness Week is just around the corner everyone!

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 6 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I made a PowerPoint for Nursing school a few years back about OBPI. Maybe if people want to see it email me and I can send it to them individually. It's a good thing for Awareness Week if someone wants to use it.

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Marieke,
Please send it to me, & I'll use it for my address book.

HUGGGGGS!!,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

could you send it to me also?

rlooby@gmail.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

THANKS alot, Marieke, I received it and it is G-O-O-D !
:)

HUGGGGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
momo5

Post by momo5 »

Hi Marieke,
Could you please send it to me also? My email is rgpuente2458@att.net. Thank you.
eanadeau
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mother to Alaina, 2, ROBPI

Post by eanadeau »

Could you please send me the powerpoint? Thanks! My email is emily.nadeau@yahoo.com
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Sent it to you both.. hope you like it.
Marieke RN, 33 LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com