Dr. Kozin...Shriners...Breath of fresh air!!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Louise H. Beaulieu
Dr. Kozin...Shriners...Breath of fresh air!!!

Post by Louise H. Beaulieu » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:13 pm

Good evening friends...I am back and I am smiling! My 8 year old daughter Elizabeth and I met with Doctor Scott Kozin from Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia this weekend. He examined Elizabeth for an hour asking her to do all kinds of everyday things. Every time he asked her to do something she would answer..."I cannot do that...that is why I came to see you so you could help me". She had my sister, Doctor Kozin and I laughing so much, it hurt. At the end of the evaluation, after explaining and drawing the body with nerves etc., he asked Elizabeth how she wanted him to help her out. She told him that she, "wanted her palm to face down instead of upwards". He looked at us and said that is exactly what she needs. Dr. Nath had suggested the osteotomy last August at the picnic, but because of insurance problems we were not able to go to Texas. I researched Shriners Hospitals in the computer and I hooked up with Dr. Kozin. I have no regrets and I will certainly refer other people to him. After 8 years, I found out that Elizabeth has 5 nerves that were completely pulled. I also found out that the sucking problems she had the first year of her life were directly related to her brachial plexus. Doctors wanted to label her "failure to thrive". I refused to go to clinic and spent the first year of her life feeding her 1 ounce at a time and waking her up because sucking was so hard for her that she would fall asleep. Doctor Kozin could not believe that no doctor had realized that her sucking was due to her birth injury. Doctor Kozin also diagnosed that
Elizabeth also has horners syndrome. First time in 8 years that a Doctor notices that....Needless to say...Doctor Kozin has got my vote. His bedside manner is wonderful. He talked with Elizabeth and got to know her likes and dislikes, her sports and her lifestyle. I also want everyone to know that he spoke very respectfully about TCH and the team over there. He was very respectful of all the people Elizabeth has seen in the past 8 years. We have seen many professionals and have driven thousands of miles trying to get help. He also said that he realizes that many professionals have never dealt with brachial plexus and that they do the best they can with the knowledge they have. He also made very clear to me that one of his goals is to have all Doctors start communicating more on the subject and that the doctors goals should be to help people wherever they are regardless of where the Doctor is practicing. That was my biggest breath of fresh air...I came out of that appointment flying higher than a kite. At this time surgery has not been scheduled because of paperwork that needs to be done...one more project that I have to undertake...that is alright...there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I sincerely want to thank all of you who emailed us last week sending us best wished. Your thoughts and prayers were greatly appreciated. Our Higher Power was certainly manifesting Himself in our presence this weekend. Sorry this is so long...I really believe that we have found the perfect help for Elizabeth. Peace and blessings to all...Louise

francine

Re: Dr. Kozin...Shriners...Breath of fresh air!!!

Post by francine » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:19 pm

Louise - you sound wonderful and I'm so glad you had such a great visit with Dr. Kozin!

-francine

Marnie

Post by Marnie » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:25 pm

I am so glad for you and your family. Hope things go well for you and Elizabeth.

Marnie

mom_2x_2002

Post by mom_2x_2002 » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:27 pm

Louise- Glad things went great with Dr K. I love it when we get the answers we are looking for.

Nicki

njbirk

Post by njbirk » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:29 pm

Louise,
So happy to hear your news.
I know how anxious you were.
It is wonderful to connect with someone who you feel finally 'understands'. And very important to find a doctor with whom you are comfortable. I hope things continue to work out for you and Shriners.

Nancy

Beaglemom

Post by Beaglemom » Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:19 am

I am so happy for you. Beaglemom

Louise H. Beaulieu

Post by Louise H. Beaulieu » Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:17 pm

Hi folks...I am doing like LeeAnne and talking to myself...!!!! I am just bringing this back to the top because I think everyone has to hear about how great my visit went with Dr. Kozin from Shriners in Philadelphia...Peace and blessings..Louise

Missy

Post by Missy » Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:21 pm

Hi Louise,

I'm so glad to hear that your visit at the Shriners with Dr. Kozin went so well! We love the Shriners also...Dr. Drake is wonderful. (We go back on September 9th for a pre-op visit.) Thanks for sharing about your appointment!

Missy

Rachel

Post by Rachel » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:56 pm

I'm so glad you had a wonderful visit with Shriner's Hospital. Best of luck with everything!

TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:19 pm

Louise, I'm so glad your weekend went so well and that you're so happy with the dr. I hope things work out for the best for Elizabeth. -Tina