camp 2010

Discuss Camp UBPN
EandH

Re: camp 2010

Post by EandH »

I was hoping for summer, if we are flying that far we'd like to make it a big trip and go see other things in whatever area you choose. A lot of people might have trouble making a big trip in the school year....
We would be coming from Washington, we loved the last camp!
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

The reason they do it in October is hat it will be the long weekend for Columbus Day. It used to be held during Labour Day weekend, which was better for me as well as I don't get time off for Columbus day being that I am in Canada, LOL.

I flew clear across the country for the WA camp (7+ hrs on 2 planes) and felt it was worth it all the same. I think b/c it is only held every 2 years (3 in this case) and it is so rare that we get to meet anyone else with a BPI it is worth making the trip if you can swing it.

Message was edited by: marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I may add that all the school children have had an assignment for school/class credit subject depends on the Camp's location. Most Eastern schools are in session by Labor Day. The other reason for the later October Date is probably for a better $$ rate for the facility, because each family must have private quarters with BR. Our Camp attendance is growing, that's good, so a large facility is needed.It is worth everything it takes to get there for all family members. It's lifechanging
for BPI children and parents as well as all adults with OBPI's who never met another person with these injuries before.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Michelle_16

camp 2010

Post by Michelle_16 »

Hi,

i'm very seriously considering coming along to camp 2010. Has there been any further arrangments made on this?

I'l b travelling from scotland so i'm just looking for a rough idea of time of year (so i can check flight prices) and approximate cost of camp and how long it will last for? Also if there is any confirmation on the area it will be held in?

I'l probably make this into my summer holiday for next year so just looking into whether it is realistic in terms of cost etc...i really hope it is :D

Hopefully someone can give me some info

Michelle
ROBPI

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue May 27, 2014 1:49 pm.