camp 2010

Discuss Camp UBPN
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: camp 2010

Post by richinma2005 »

Hi Michelle,

the UBPN BOD is still evaluating potential sites. We have possibilities in Florida, Missouri, North Carolina, West Virginia. We are going to discuss our options at our in-person BOD meeting in April 17-19 in Chicago.

The time period we are looking at is October 8-11, 2010 (Columbus Day weekend here in the states).

Cost would most likely be reflective of our last camps which include the room, activities and meals for 3 nights. For a single person that would range ~300, not including transportation. For a family of four the range would be $450-525 depending on the age of the kids.

We will have a better idea after April meeting -although raising and dedicating funds for this event is a big decision for the BOD in regards to the health and direction of our organization.

If anyone has ideas to help raise funds for camp please direct them to me

richard@ubpn.org

rich
president ubpn
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

HOOORAY!! Some news...BTW, the more money we raise for CAMP the less families have to pay out of pocket,folks.
Get you thinking caps on.

I'l pray for you BOD'S on that weekend. Please make it easy to fly in from the west coast...
Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
homie04

Post by homie04 »

Hello Rich,
My name is Kia and I am a mom of a 4 soon to be 5 year old boy with a ROBPI. I am very interested in helping in some capacity with UBPN and camp 2010. I am looking over the website and there is alot of information and opportunity. So I am still deciding but if you have any suggestions, pls let me know.

Thank you.
CSMITH

Post by CSMITH »

I have been wanting to come to a UBPN camp for many years and it has been too far away for me.I really really hope that it will be highly considered in Missouri this time.I want to come,I talk about it all the time with my family.Please push for Missouri.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Hi Homie,

We are having a BOD meeting in April, after that we will be refocused on our tasks and will certainly looking for volunteers on our committees. I will definitely get back to you with opportunities!

Rich
President UBPN
Momoftwo85

Post by Momoftwo85 »

Can someone explain what the camp is about? My son has Erb's Palsy and this sounds like so much fun!
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Camp is where people with BPI, both OBPI and TBPI get together and participate in discussions (Teens only, Adults only, Adults/Teens with the OBPI kids with parents there and without..), listen to guest lecturers speak (OT/PT/MD, participate in activities like softball, swimming, rock wall, arts & crafts, go Karts, Zip line.. depends on what there is at that Camp, it varies a bit as the Camp is done in a different state each time and not every facility offers the same things.

It is so much fun to meet others with BPI, and connect with the kids and their parents.

I have pictures up form Camp 2007
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/ ... /?start=60
starts on page 4

Amy has some too (Hope_16)
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd65 ... s/?start=0

Marieke 33, LOBPI

Message was edited by: marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Phillicia

Post by Phillicia »

Hello,

What is the age range of the younger children who attend the camp? My daughter who is 2 1/2 years old has Erb's palsy.
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

When I went in 2007 there were some really little ones, 2yr+ to adult... I think there may have been a few babies too.

When the kids are that young, the activities/sessions are for the parents to connect and get info.

She is 2 1/2 now? She'll be near 4 then or already 4 when the next Camp rolls around in 2010. A great age to do things! :)

Hope to meet you at Camp 2010!!

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
marieke

Post by marieke »

I have an idea, not sure how to do it, but anyway here is what I was thinking.

Maybe have some type of display/info session or something about what each OBPI adult did/does for a living. So many parents wonder what their kids will be able to work as when they "grow up". This could give them an idea of what jobs we do, and they can ask us how we went about doing it in school/on the job. What we found hard, easy, why/why not..

Marieke 33, LOBPI
PT, BA Child Studies, RN... LOL
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI