locking elbow

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Master DIVER TOM

Re: locking elbow

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You know, I would find a lawyer to deal with possible ssd for sure. It is in fact something anyone having dowt should do. I did myself but it was very challenging for sure. Talk to a lawyer about SSD is a very good Idea and there is set rates for them to do so!

Tom
Michelle_16

Post by Michelle_16 »

Ye iv seen pictures of serial casting. Im not sure whether its only available for kids tho because their more "bendy" (lol cant think of a better word at the moment) or flexible than adult bones.

I think plent of stretches to relax the muscles help with straightening, I guess it does depend on how ur arm bends. My elbow doesnt seem to straighten completely - its as if its locked when it gets out to far. but by stretching out my bicep i can get it as straight as possible, but when my bicep is tight, my arm looks shorter and more bent.

Michelle,
LOBPI
Mare

Post by Mare »

Frankie had the serial casting done at 15 yrs old he went from 65 degrees to 35 degrees in 2 weeks the only problem is it didn't last it slowly went back to 65 in a month the PT said he would have to wear a splint at night and even then it might need to be worn daytime to Frankie said forget it he had just done 4 months in the statue of liberty splint from mod quad and wasn't going to start spinting again maybe some day he will try again.
Mare
Master DIVER TOM

My elbow was factured at birth along with the erbs in my left. I had a splint for years when I was little. It change nothing regarding the bend in the elbow.
FOR ME, I think that splint streach the muscles to far by positioning it to high. The position of the splint that I had put way to much tention on the nerves. I just wish that spint was place lower? I would not ware a splint during the day ether. I see that bent elbow issue over 50 yrs never really gets fix right YET??
I am sure in the future it will I guess?? FOR ME, I belive that the day they lower the position of the splint will help? I know that when they can striaghten the erbs arm will help a person with erbs. It will help the felling that someone will be looking at the arm because it is bent all the time. So I guess its up to the person with erbs to wate for technolige or to get more operation with or without possibble benefit?? I hope this might help?

Best Wish and trys,

TOM
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

As Mare mentioned,
Serial casting is done on kids but often it is not a permanent fix and kids have to wear a splint at night to keep it stretched.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Master DIVER TOM

Ok, It still does not make it right? I apsolutely see the need after a surgury. To a point? After that ???????

Tom
Master DIVER TOM

You know I didnt have any chooses in the 50s. My mom had to let me cry my self to sleep because of the hight of the splint. I RESPECT a differance of opion. But it makes me fell like I was better off without chooses??

Tom
drunkinemu

Post by drunkinemu »

Hi Michelle,

Thats so weird, Im 23 and my arm just started cracking for the first time this year. It hurts pretty bad and it just grosses me out. I have to learn a way to move or bend it so it does to that.

I go to the gym almost everyday and can tell that its not healthy for my BPI arm. When I pull too much weight, I get pain in my elbow for a few days. Sucks.
Michelle_16

Post by Michelle_16 »

oh your so like me! i go to the gym all the time too. I do try to be kind to my arm though and just generally do a lot of running and not so much weights. Must be something about our age then that it starts about now.

Michelle
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

I lift weights, and my arm has started to crack sometime as I do some motions, but it doesn't hurt (yet). Did your elbow crack at all before it started to hurt? My shoulder tends to crack more. My wrist has always cracked for as long as I can remember.

Chris 24/LOBPI