locking elbow

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Michelle_16

locking elbow

Post by Michelle_16 »

Hiya everyone,

Hope you have all had a lovely christmas! :D

Just a wee question, has anyones elbow ever locked and feels like its going to snap if you move it?

This has never happened to me in 23 years until 2day while i was driving. when i stopped at my boyfriends house i brought my arm/hand in towards my body and it cracked really loud and then when i pushed my arm/hand away from my body it felt like it was going to snap off it pushed any harder...was really odd. i just kinda massaged it and gently pushed and pulled it to loosen it off - which worked but it was really horrible. Does anyone know what would cause this? its not a particularly cold winter in Scotland and im not even having cold pains so i'm not sure its the weather.

I havent actually seen a doctor/physio for my arm since i was around 16/17 so im wondering if its maybe time i go back just to make sure everythings ok? sometimes now when i go to the gym the next day my arm is SO painful and it lasts for days. I know the erbs arms generally get worse with age ... lol maybe im paranoid but i think mines is starting to deteriorate at quite a young age...any thoughts on this?

Well thats all for tonight...il get back to my uni work!

Michelle
ROBPI

p.s thinking of visiting for the next camp :D
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: locking elbow

Post by Carolyn J »

Yes Michele this has hapened to me. We adults as we get older experience different "weird" things wsith our BPI limbs. I believe there is a Topic thread here on this Board. Just type "weird" in the Search Forum Box at the top of the page & al posts wil come up for you.

HUgs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Mitch90

Post by Mitch90 »

Ya this has happened to me. But ive been using my arm more and its been getting alot better. Stretching always helps. Also don't lift too many wieghts.
Charlie O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI resulting from a birth injury. Limited motion at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. No pain or surgeries.

Post by Charlie O »

If my BP elbow is in a bent position for a long time, sometimes I feel resistance when I try to straighten it. If I then use my no-BP arm to force it straight, the BP elbow pops... the sensation is very similar to cracking my knuckles, only more so. But not painful.
If daydreaming were criminalized, I’d be a lifer.
Evan J

Post by Evan J »

I also have a locking elbow that pops when I straighten it, exactly like yours, Charlie O. It happens multiple times a day but is never painful.

-Evan/18/LOBPI
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

This happens to me a lot, but mostly in my non-BPI arm. Could this be a sign of overuse?? It happens at the most awkward times, when I don't even expect it. I just try to snap it really fast because it hurts when it does.
~Mel, 21, LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Michelle_16

Post by Michelle_16 »

ye it is actually like cracking knuckles - it really gives me the heejay-jeebays!!

perhaps it is overuse bcos iv got an AWFUL tentency to hang shopping bags over my bpi arm (lol its actually not funny) while im out shoppin and then i say i dont use it but i use it quite a lot passively i think.

michelle
LOBPI
Michelle_16

Post by Michelle_16 »

aw im glad my post has made me realise ur not alone.

but ye it is very scary when it happens bcos im scared im gna break a bone or something :(

michelle
lobpi
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I sure have the elbow problems and it crak when it goes back into joint . Many times driving a 18 wheeler it did SNAP , KRAKLE , POP holding on to a semi steering wheel for over 20 yrs. My erbs of my left also my elbow and scapla were fracture at birth two. I stop caring about the erbs in the 60s, I do like to see the new medical chooses of today. In the 60s , the doctors just said I cant help your erbs. Good luck with what you trying to do.

TOM
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Many kids have that, it's called serial casting. For some it works well others not as much. I think it depends on how many degrees you need to get it to "straight".

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com