Athletic Arm Sling

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bjennings
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C5 thru T1 avulsed on 3/17/2011 in a motorcycle accident.

follow me on instagram @bjennings276

Re: Athletic Arm Sling

Post by bjennings »

really interested in this sling! i sent dan an email already im hopin i can still get one.
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Just got this picture from Aaron. He was a second yellow belt in this picture and is now a green belt, (I have no clue what that means, but I am sure some of you will)

He is ordering a new sling and it might be black........any symbolism there?

Great job Aaron, keep it up!

Dan
Attachments
Aaron - Yellow Belt_phixr.jpg
Aaron - Yellow Belt_phixr.jpg (44.68 KiB) Viewed 18173 times
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Love this guy! Aaron continues to do cool stuff and the good part is he then shares with us. Here he is Zip Lining in Hawaii, love this picture and always love hearing the great things he is doing. Keep it up Aaron.
Attachments
Aaron - Zip Line.jpg
Aaron - Zip Line.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 17973 times
bjennings
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C5 thru T1 avulsed on 3/17/2011 in a motorcycle accident.

Post by bjennings »

Sorry it took so long to post dan! i couldnt remember my password lol.

Anyways, i bought one of these slings from dan, had to modify it a tiny but to make it more comfortable which is no big deal. but after i got it i started going to the gym again andit really helped me get out of my slump! The sling i got from dan is easily the best 100 dollars i ever spent, i love it.
Ive been running and stuff mainly but now its getting close to winter i cant wait to start snowboarding, and im getting a rekluse auto clutch on my dirtbike soon, gonna start riding again. :D im pretty pumped.

ill try and post pics as soon as i start doin stuff again, either on here or my facebook. you can find me on there too. email is bjennings607@yahoo.com
KarlwaK
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI, 7/31/2002, C5 & C6 severed

Post by KarlwaK »

I met with Dan last Monday to get fitted for a sling. I realise that for most of you meeting Dan in person is difficult if not impossible but I highly recommend it. For one thing it insures you get measured properly for the sling the first time. After all they are custom made to these measurements. These aren't shelf bought, "one size fitts all" slings. Each sling is hand crafted. But Dan doesn't make a living selling slings. He has a very rewarding life apart from selling slings. He has a career and a wonder family and he could be content with that. But Dan chooses to give back. And that is why you need to meet Dan. But if you can't make it here don't let that stop you from getting a sling. There is truely nothing more therapeutic for you than getting back as much activity in your lives as possible. So give yourself that gift...KarlwaK
KarlwaK
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI, 7/31/2002, C5 & C6 severed

Post by KarlwaK »

I met with Dan on Monday to get measured for a sling. I realise that for most of you it's difficult to come here and meet Dan in person. The up side is you are insured of getting the measurements right the first time. After all these are custom made slings made to specified measurements. They're not off the shelf "one size fits all" slings. But Dan doesn't make a living making slings. He has a career and a wonderful family apart from all that. Dan chooses to give back. And that's why you should meet Dan. But if you can't make it here don't let that stop you from buy a sling. Getting back to doing the activities that you loved to do before the TBPI is the most therapeutic thing you can do. So give yourself that gift...KarlwaK
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

bump for Lisa.

Great sling. Really helped me get back in the game of athletics. I never leave home for a trip without it.
Garrett32
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI Dec. 2002, Avulsion of C5, 6, 7, 8. T1 still hanging in there!
Nerve grafts (x5) have recovered certain functions, but still very limited use of left arm, hand.
More to follow after registration.

Post by Garrett32 »

Hi all,

this sling looks great. I'm posting (hoping it does) a pic of a sling design I've used for around 8 years now. I was a triathlete pre-injury and got back to running after about 18-month out. About 3 years post-injury I completed my first ultra marathon. From 2005 I've been running races from 1500m through to 24hrs. I also mountainbike with the help of a sinle pull brake lever and I'm currently getting a road bike built up. There are certain sports I can no longer enjoy - kayaking; I'm not so good at climbing; I'm not nearly as good at contact sports - but considering that I went through a period where walking down my road was hard work, I'm happy every time I get on the trail for a run!

My injury - avulsion of C5, C6, C7 and C8. Serveral nerve grafts recovered control, but limited actual function.

It's great to see so many folks with BPI's out there getting involved in different sports!! Really great to see :-)

Garrett
Attachments
Racing 5,000m in London Club Champs
Racing 5,000m in London Club Champs
LICC_GT.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 17978 times
bjennings

Post by bjennings »

just wanted to share some pics. dans sling really let me get back to doin whatever i want.

broke my good hand lol
Rico_Laniohan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I suffered a Brachial plexus injury do to a motorcycle crash, my complete left arm is paralyzed. It happened in June of 2010. I was 25 years old. unfortunately, I've never had surgery. If theres help out there im willing to try anything to help it heal. I need resources.

Post by Rico_Laniohan »

I can't wait to get this sling. Everyone's stories are hella encouraging and I am super stoked to get one.