Serial Casting for the Elbow Contracture

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Lucy

Serial Casting for the Elbow Contracture

Post by Lucy »

We are thinking about starting serial casting for an elbow contracture. Please tell me any experience that you have had with this and if it works or is uncomfortable.
LoriV

Re: Serial Casting for the Elbow Contracture

Post by LoriV »

We had great success with serial casting. We had previously used a static splint and a dynasplint. Both of them effectively got him down to 10 degrees, but nothing more than that. With serial casting we got all the way to zero. It's not permanent, but then again there are no permanent solutions to that problem (even those who have had surgery on it have posted that the contracture returns). We know we will have to do it periodically as he grows.

I should mention that we did not keep the cast on 24 hours a day. We only kept it on overnight and sometimes through the morning. It probably took a little longer that way, but we did not want it on all the time for a number of reasons.

Good luck!
Vanda Roseboom

Post by Vanda Roseboom »

we did serial casting/splinting along with estim and had really great results
Vanda Roseboom

Post by Vanda Roseboom »

I should also note we only used it at night time as well.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Maia had a biceps tendon lengthening done but now 3 years later it's back. I have been looking at the comfy splint. They have a static splint that is used as an alternative to serial casting. You use a wrench to open or tighten the angle of the elbow - in 10 degree increments. We had a Comfy splint many years ago and I thought it was a very comfortable type of splint - it's very padded and soft but we got the dynamic kind and it was the wrong kind for Maia. This kind does not have spring loading in it. But anyway, the company just came out with an aluminum lightweight version so I'm going to check it out. I do believe that the heavy dynasplint that Maia wore when she was 2 years old (in combination with the position that she slept in) caused her first dislocation.

http://www.comfysplints.com/elbow-knee.htm
it's the comfy "lite" one that we are looking into

they also have a comfy hand splint that adjusts for deviation which Maia needs also but I think we need to work on one problem at a time.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I need to add that the reason the dynasplint failed her was because (we found out 2 years later) that the person who brought the splint to her to fit her, gave her a knee splint and not an elbow splint. It was way too heavy for a 2 year old's arm.
Sema

Post by Sema »

We have used a splint that was made of soft-cast,which was valved and attached with velcro. Evan wore it 6 nights a week. When he gained range we would get a new one made. He was down to a 3 degree contracture. Since we moved 18 months ago, I recently found someone who made Evan a similar splint last week. I put it on him after he falls asleep. It's very light and does not seem to bother him much. If you would like I can email a photo.
momgg1

Post by momgg1 »

Can you please e-mail me a photo of the splint. We have struggled w/ the dynasplint. Grace has a 20 degree contracture @ this time. I would love to look at this as an option. How did you find someone to make it? Thanks!! Diane

e-mail: desiegfried@sbcglobal.net
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I am very curious what this splint looks like would you mind emailing it to me too? I cant seem to picture it. Sounds more comfortable than most other splints.

Thanks,
Amy 19 years old ROBPI from MN

hope16_05@yahoo.com
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Sema

Post by Sema »

I just emailed both of you with some photos of the splint.

We had our first splint made at California Chidren's Services by Evan's OT. After we moved, I checked with several OT places that made splints. We ended up with one splint that I was told would work just as well but it turned out to be completely useless. What worked for me was setting up an appointment with an OT at the chilren's hospital. At that time I also got their email address and told them I would like to email them a photo of the splint. I asked them to check with the OT who would be making the splint if this is something she could make and let me know before the appointment date. That worked out very well.

We never used the Dynasplint but I can tell you that I find using this splint very hassle free. It's easy on me and Evan. The other nice thing is that all it costs us is the copay that goes with one OT appointment.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer. I was told about this splint a couple of years ago by a mom I met on this board and we've been using it since then. Thanks Christie!