Elbow problems

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Joanie

Re: Elbow problems

Post by Joanie »

Christina,

I understand what you're saying about a "minor" injury. I feel the same way when I read some of the posts here. I have some pain in my overworked non-BPI arm, but it's not anything like the descriptions of pain I've read on these boards. I don't have pain from my BPI arm, unless I get pinched or hit, or something. Also, people don't always see, or understand, that I have a partially paralyzed arm. This can be a blessing and a curse, all at the same time.

I also don't have any children. There was nothing in my life that I wanted more than children, but "Man plans and G-d laughs." It never occurred to me that I could have had a great deal of difficulty as a mother, because of my arm, until I started reading post like yours. I certainly don't mean to turn this into a pity party. What I mean is that you are fortunate to have twins, and fortunate to have UBPN to turn to when the combination of twins and BPI gets to you.

Please come to camp next year. I went to camp last year. I went alone, because my husband didn't want to go. I had only found UBPN in late July and in September I was already going to camp! I just had to meet other people with arms like mine. I was 56 years old, and until I met Nancy (we live near each other), I'd never met anyone else with an arm like mine. Camp was a wonderful experience! I rode a horse for the first time in my life!

Please come to camp next year. I'm sure that you won't regret it. Make it a family vacation, if you can. Get your husband involved. Let him help you. Do whatever you need to do, but come.

Joanie
kissygoose

Elbow problems

Post by kissygoose »

Can I cry?

First of all please don't think bad of me. I know that so many of you have much more serious cases than mine and I should be thankful to have as much use of my arm as I do. But it's still hard.

Anyway, ever since my Neurtontin started wearing off my LOBPI elbow has been hurting more and more. I'm able to straighten out my arm pretty well, or at least I had been able to. The pain just started every once in a while when I would go to bend it or straighten it out. Then yesterday I started having pain when I lifted one of the kids. Earlier today it got worse when lifting the kids so I had to stop using it because it would give out. It's now got to the point where I can hardly straighten it at all. When I do try the pain is so bad I feel like just leaving it bent. Once I get it straightened it's better for a minute or so but then hurts to bend it again. It seems to do better when I keep it bent though. I don't know what to do. THey've x-rayed it, EMG'd it and medicated me. All my tests come back with the standard "you have Erb's palsy but no arthritis or further complications". Why is this doing this now? Is there anything I can do for it? I'm on so much meds and anti-inflamitories right now I don't think I can take anymroe. I seriously just want to strap it to my chest it hurts so much to move.

Sorry for the poor me post.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:26 pm.