HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: HOW TO BE A NEW BPI MOMMY?

Post by Kath »

All three of my children were delivered using high forceps.
The doctor used his hands to pull and tug me out.
My Mom said he was sitting on the floor pulling.
When she confronted them a few weeks after I was born they said they had to do and he just press too hard and severed a nerve.
They also told her it would knit back together from the brace...

I was so lucky that my children were not injured.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

Question...
How on earth do you control a squirmy baby? He's started arching himself away from me when he's done eating, or if he doesn't want held like that. He only does it on my BP side, so I don't have as much control. And that make it REALLY hard to pick him back up properly.

-Traci
kamren

Post by kamren »

From the time mine were about 6 months old I talked to them about what Mommy can't do. When they would be squimy I would tell them "Mommy can't pick you up if you act like that, or she might drop you." Most of the time they settled down. It is amazing how much they can understand. I wouldn't pick them up until the squirming stopped.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Traci,
I did exactly what Kamren did and It worked for me too. The minute Scott arched I laid him down & talked to him with the same words--simple sentence. It was like a soothing short mantra. "Arching" is a babies way to tell us they need their own space now.I took a Graduate Class in Mother-Infant Communication about 10 yrs. ago. I wish I knew this stuff back in the '70's when Scott was that young! I went purely on instinct 'cause I didn't know ANYTHING then!!!...

BTW Traci, I posted on Jack's Website but your notification email came back to ME as undeliverable...

HUGS to all 3 of you,
Carolyn J

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I have to switch arms quickly when they get squirmy. My sisters nephew would do that to me and still does so I am careful to make sure I can grab quickly with my left arm when and if he chooses to squirm. My baby nephew is still too young for that but I imagine I will have the same trouble as you Traci when he gets a little bigger.
Good luck!
Hugs,
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Traci,
I am not BPI but my son who is BPI was VERY-Very STrong.....He wore overalls all the time. I always had the straps is I felt him slipping away so to speak. I cannot give you any other advice than that. Going on your website nows to get an update and to see new pictures....how cute he is....GAYLE
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Gayle,
thats a very good idea, I should have my sister dress my nephew in overalls so he will be easier to hang on to.
thanks for the great tip!
Hugs,
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

First...Carolyn, did the site told you it was undeliverable? I wonder why, maybe it was down at that moment. There are days I have trouble editing it. But I see you posted on the 19th, did it work for you later?

Next...Thanks for the great ideas, I would have thought he's still to young for me to sit and explain stuff to him but hey it can't hurt trying. And the overall idea works. I dress him in overalls quite a bit, but never really thought about how beneficial they are for controlling his squirminess before. Great idea!

I guess it will be time soon enough for the BPI talk, huh. Other than my idea to have Finding Nemo as my mascot (so to speak), how did some of you tell your little ones about your BP injuries?

-Traci
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi Traci,
1st off, please give that special Guy a big HUG from me the next diaper change.

Whenever I accidently did something to Scott with my LBPI hand I would immediately say to him " Oh there's that 'Funny Finger Hand' again, Mommy didn't mean to hurt you"... Then I'd make a funny face or say something to make him laugh and I would smother him in kisses. He never did cry and never questioned me, just accepted that Mommy's "Funny Finger Hand" does things mommy can't help. When you start saying a "Mommy Phrase" that's a little comical and loving from early as possible, it becomes part of you and acceptance is immediate even when they are as young as MY Jack.

Another great question, Traci!!

Hugs to all 3 of you,
Carolyn J
ps...Jack's site worked ok after the 19th...
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
kamren

Post by kamren »

You know, I just talked about it, almost like talking to myself from the time they were born. Like if I had to lay they down to do something because I couldn't carry them with my left arm. I would say "Mommy will be right back, I have to ______, Mommys arm doesn't work quite right."

Once they were older and asked why Mommys arm doesn't work right, I would tell them that when I was born my Doctor pulled too hard on me and hurt my arm. That I was dead and given up on, but one wonderful nurse kept working on me and wouldn't give up, and saved my life. I tell them that on the day I was born I was given my miricle, life. They like the story, and ask me often to tell them the story. Even the oldest who is now 15 still asks to hear it.

My youngest is the only one who hasn't asked. I am not sure if that is because he still refuses to talk much, or if he has heard me telling the older ones that he already knows:) (He will be 4 in a month)

Mostly I just make it part of what is "normal" for us for life.