Is this carpel tunnel or arthritis?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Joanie

Re: Is this carpel tunnel or arthritis?

Post by Joanie »

I love these posts!! All of you have given me my dose of laughter for the day. Thanks so much.

Kath, what is ROTF?
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Joanie

Rolling on the floor = ROTF

Laughing out loud = LOL

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

A few months back, I got tired of my pink and ring finger going numb and asked the dr about it. Back for another emg (hate them)
It turns out I do have carpel tunnel in both hands/wrists, but it has nothing to do with the pinky and ring finger. The emg tech said the thumb and other two fingers are affected. Sounds like you might have carpel tunnel. Anti inflamatories are what he suggested, short of surgery. The doc never did follow up about the other two fingers and numbness and I just chalked it up to erbs and the strange happenings that is caused by it. I was already taking something for pain and was also wearing a wrist guard. Now I had to get one for my good arm/hand which is something I just can't get used to. I have always relied on my right hand/arm/wrist and can't seem to do anything when I wear it. The left one doesn't bother me except when I type (can't stretch that pinky far enought to hit the darned letters) but outside of that I seldom use my lefty for anything but balance mainly. The "guard" for a lack of a better word, (can't think right now) goes over the hand, supports the wrist and goes up the arm a little and it does keep you from flexing your wrist or bumping it on something. Of course I broke my left wrist and wasn't able to have the recommmended surgery, so it healed goofy and I do bump it quite often. Hope this help a little
Sharon 58 left obpi
CarolynfromLA

Post by CarolynfromLA »

It could also be tendonitis. I had it so bad in my overused hand and arm that I was incapacited for weeks, and only got better with a lot of physical therapy. I don't pretend to know what your financial contraints are, but I urge you to go to the doctor anyway. If there is any chance that the damage may be permanent, we OBPI people can't risk losing BOTH hands!

-Carolyn
kissygoose

Is this carpel tunnel or arthritis?

Post by kissygoose »

I can't make it to a dr due to financial constraints so I thought I'd ask just to have some iea of what might be going on.

I've been having a lot of pain in my unaffected hand. It started with my thumb joints and has gotten bad enough that I can't even unbutton my jeans anymore. Holding a pen to write has also become a major problem. The pain is now starting to affect other fingers and my hand is constantly falling asleep. I've noticed that when this happens it is mainly from my thumb to my ring finger. The pinky rarely falls asleep. I'm worried that this is going to be a permanent thing which is really going to screw me over. Does this sound familiar to you?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu May 29, 2014 6:28 am.