Is this carpel tunnel or arthritis?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
brandonsmom

Re: Is this carpel tunnel or arthritis?

Post by brandonsmom »

To me it sounds like Carpral Tunnel. I do not have BPI but this is the feeling I had when I was diagnosed with Carpral Tunnel. Try this test. Close your eyes....have someone run a thumb tack or other sharp object across the tip of your finger....first the point end and then the side of the object. Can you tell the difference? If not it is more than like carpral tunnel. Gayle
ErikOlson
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left arm injured at birth.
Partial use.
One surgery at age 9, tendon transfer.

Post by ErikOlson »

I feel for you. I have had my other hand really screwed up this way, several times since age 21.

There are many ways that nerves can become irritated; it doesn't have to be carpal tunnel (in which inflamation, or scar tissue, inside the nerve channel in the wrist pinches the nerve.) The symptoms of numbness and tingling in the hand can even result from irritated nerves elsewhere such as the shoulder or forearm. In my case, it was the shoulder and wrist, and my PT had me change my desk, chair and posture, and I improved.

WIth that said, I'm not a doctor and I'm only talking in terms of what I guess from my own experience. It's probably not arthritis unless your body has really decided to stop maintaining healthy joints. More likely you are doing more injury than can be healed each day. And it is probably something that can be helped by altering behavior.

In _Repetitive Strain Injury_, Deborah Quilter writes about people in many professions learning to do ordinary activities in ways that reduce the stress that creates soft tissue injuries. It's a common misconception that all of these symptoms point to diagnosis of carpal tunnel and then surgery to remove scar tissue.

You can do a lot to help yourself by getting a hold of one of Quilter's books, or Dr. Pascarelli (MY doctor/surgeon sees RSI often and did not even know of these books written for patients! He refers to therapists; I believe OT more often know of these books.)

Unfortunately, you may also get angry like I did when I tried to make some lists of what I could change. How am I supposed to get through the day? I know from your posts that you have a lot of responsibilities

My strategy has involved using my BPI affected arm for things I would do with my other arm automatically. Beginning with the obvious: opening doors. I also avoid many things I used do like video games, air hockey (OUCH), hammering nails. Then there is dividing heavy loads into smaller ones, such as in shelving one book instead of a fistful of books all at once, putting away the dishes differently to avoid stress, opening drawers differently. (And yes, I fear button fly jeans. Some brands are just easier to button than others.)

I also avoid certain computer keyboards: Dell in particular ships horrible keyboards. Since I am a computer professional this is critical; I use exclusively MacAlly Icekey scissor switch style. I do not have a great mouse solution at this time (though the IceMouse was pretty good.)

For relief, I regularly carry around a cold soda can in my hurting hand. It's innocuous. In 3 years nobody at work has ever asked me about my issues. I use Aleve when it gets really bad (damn those Vioxx lawyers), but I try to have drug weeks and no-drug weeks. Overnight I get some recovery using a fuzzy splint. (http://www.hely-weber.com/)

I imagine that I have a limited budget for my hand, and I have to decide how to do tasks more cheaply (less damage) or not at all (like video games) to make room for the stuff I have to do (like work).

I realize you're in a tough place here, with limited resources. So my best ideas are, you can help yourself by going to the library or bookstore, and examining your own activities for stuff that you can change to avoid injury.

The good news is that you can recover. I wish I could believe that while I am at the bottom of final exams week with no escape, and just unpacking my book bag at school is a trial... (and "Professor, I injured my arm while studying.. can I write the exam tomorrow?" doesn't work.)

kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

I'll definitely check my library to see if I can get my hands on a copy of those books. As much as I hate to do it I'm probably going to have to make an appt with my dr. about it. It's so bad today I can't get the tops screwed off of the babies' bottles.

Thanks
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Erik,
You have GREAT suggestions for Christina!!
Good Luck in all of your exams; but ,I bet you're VERY smart in your courses! What are you studying, Career-wise? You college guys really inspire me. I hope you keep us updated regularly as time permits.Do you go on Amy's Chat Night on Thursdays? I hope so...
Carolyn J
PS...what's your favorite Beanie to hold?(ball or animal figure)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
ErikOlson
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left arm injured at birth.
Partial use.
One surgery at age 9, tendon transfer.

Post by ErikOlson »

Hi,

Exams are over, yay. I am halfway through the weekend MBA at U. of Chicago, to which I take the train every Saturday because I can't drive that much (that physical budgeting thing again.)

For the whole next day I kept sticking my arm in hot/cold water to get the blood flowing. I also discovered that the new tall Guiness beer cans make excellent chilling pads: you can chill your palm while the extended length covers the wrist and some of the forearm! Much better than ordinary, short soda. And, three days later, the coldness and aching are mostly gone again.

Maybe this week I will join the chat. Jake the Duck is watching. (: Do you have a Beanie?

Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Erik,
I lose my Beanies & my balls all the time,leaving them places,but I am getting a little better at keeping them. You just know that I collect balls of different softness every where I shop. Right now I don't have a beanie,but I bet I will soon!

Thanks for the idea of a beer can...& I WILL eventually drink what's inside too!...LOL!!

I glad to hear you are "Budgeting your OUTPUT of energy".
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Off topic, but when my husband had his vasectomy, he used beer cans too. LOL
Gayle
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Oh Gayle!!...P-laa-ease..do not make me laugh any harder!! You poor Hubby!
Have a great day,Gayle!
Carolyn J--hugs too
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Carolyn,
My poor hubby....come on now, he was the one that chose that option....after delivering Brandon he wouldn't let the doctors touch me. It was the standing joke....when it got too warm to help the pain...it was perfect drinking temperature.....Gayle Hugs back !!!
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Gayle

I am ROTF LOL....

You are too funny...

I am sure your husband would be thrilled to know you shared this information with just a few of your nearest and dearest at UBPN... LOL...

I think this falls under the catagory of "too much info" ... LOL..

Kath (Adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi