Transition from EI to school program

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Transition from EI to school program

Post by Tanya in NY »

Good news everyone! I went to my daughter's CPSE meeting today with pictures, literature, and 2 Outreach magazines in hand in preparation for her transition from the EI program when she turns 3 years old next month. I was anticipating that OT and PT would be discontinued as it is hard to prove an "educationally based need" for a 3 year old when she doesn't attend any type of preschool program yet. Anyway, the OT was definitely on my side, and I presented information to the CPSE chair and other members. Well, to make a long story short, we get to continue OT services through the end of the school year! In the spring, we'll have another meeting to determine if she can receive services over the summer since the CPSE runs on a school calendar. Yeah! I'm very excited and relieved as I have been having a lot of anxiety over this meeting since this CPSE chair is very stingy about giving services.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 3 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Re: Transition from EI to school program

Post by richinma2005 »

Tanya!

That is great news. Summer services are tough, but for 5 years we got them. Need to demonstarte that without the therapy over the summer(extended school year), you child would show significant regression that would impact her performance in the tasks that you are receiving OT for. At 8, she doesn't get summer sevices anymore bit at 3, 4, 5 , 6 and 7 she did.

So it is possible

Good Luck

-rich
claudia

Re: Transition from EI to school program

Post by claudia »

Tanya:
We ended summer services on our own when Juliana was about to turn 4. At that age she started going to a regular, full-day day camp. Her therapists and I felt that the activities of camp (swim 2x/day, various sports, arts and crafts, and music) were "therapeutic" enough. I think that my volunteering to give up services actually helped--the Committee saw me as more 'reasonable'. But don't give up those services unless you want to.

claudia