Another bpi story

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
milkmoney

Another bpi story

Post by milkmoney »

Inspired by Amy's post (my bpi story), I'd like to introduce myself by pasting an excerpt from my personal blog. Interestingly enough - my first post ever (out of sixty) details my birth injury. The blog entry is titled:

For the Love of Forceps

Let’s start at the beginning: May 21, 1979 at 12:03 AM, I was born screaming and crying into this world. Weighing in at over 10 lbs, I was too big to slide gracefully from the birth canal so the doctors yanked me free with forceps (which explains the screaming and crying). My mom tells me it’s a miracle I survived – I was blue from a lack of oxygen. They’d had to act quickly with those forceps, and in all the haste and excitement it seems they forgot I was a delicate baby. The force used to extract me broke my left arm and ripped the nerves in my neck responsible for rotation and movement of my right arm. This type of injury is common enough to have its own name – Erb’s Palsy.

What does it mean? It means that I can’t turn my arm over, palm up; that one arm is about 1 ½ inches shorter than the other; that I can’t do pull-ups; that I attract stares when bowling, writing on a chalkboard, giving a high-five, drinking a soda or accepting change when carrying groceries in my left hand. It means that even though I’m right-handed, I’ve learned to do almost everything (save for writing) with my left hand. This includes putting on makeup, shaving and eating. And to tell you the truth, I wouldn’t know the difference except that I take exceptionally long showers (ever try shaving with your non-dominant hand?) and spend forever getting ready to go out. It’s either the Erb’s or being female – take your pick.

And every once in a while, a stranger has reminded me I have Erb’s Palsy. The girl at the lunch table who said I eat like a Barbie. The UPS guy who asked, “What’s wrong with your arm?” The cashier at the coffeehouse who asked if I was a dancer. When I explain that it’s partially paralyzed from a difficult birth, the response is almost always, “Oh, I thought you were just graceful.” Apparently the stiffness in my arm makes me look “proper” and “stuck-up,” or so I’m told. I guess there are worse things a girl could be – brain damaged, wheelchair bound or even dead.

And once, while waiting tables, a large family asked about my arm. Their granddaughter had just been born with Erb’s Palsy and they were worried for her future. How would she grow? Would she be ‘normal’? Seeing me, the relief on their faces was unmistakable. Yes, Folks, for all intensive purposes – I am normal.

Thanks for reading, nice to meet you - I wish it were under different circumstances :)
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Another bpi story

Post by Kath »

Beth
It's nice to meet you thanks for introducing yourself.
Your story is so familiar it seems as if we all have so much in common when it comes to life experiences.
Except some of us have lived longer.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Beth- wow!! I got chills. Do you write? My son has ROBPI. severe injury, had surgery about 6 moths ago. And I often joke about how very normal he is. I have had people ask me if he will ever lead a normal life...

MArlyn

p.s welcome to ubpn.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Marlyn
People ask if he will ever be normal?
That is funny...
I hope I am never just normal... LOL...
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

It is very nice to read another person point of view in their personal story. THanks for sharing!
Amy ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

You have a gift with your talent for putting words down for others to read. Eloquent, humorous, insightful, and truthful. I am envious of this talent.

Might I say, it appears after reading your post that you have grown to simply accept your injury for being a part of who you are and not as a disability. I hope my own daughter grows in that same manner.

Thank you so much for this post. It was very, very touching to me.

Tanya in NY
(Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 2 1/2 years)
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I love your story. I enjoyed reading it. The way it was written...I really liked it. It was an interesting look into your world. Makes me wonder if my daughter will feel the same way as you one day. If some of those same words would come out of her mouth one day? Time will tell.
~Krista~
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hello "Milkmoney",
I just found your post. I wish I had your gift of expression. It really is hard for me sometimes....believe it or not,Kath!....I also am envious of your ability to be a waitress. I was always scared of applying for 2 jobs when I needed extra money to make ends meet. I am clumsy and do drop things and trip over my my feet alot so I think maybe it was/is wise not to serve the public that way.
Best wishes & please post again.
hugs,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI/ age 67 & proud of it!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Bumping up re Shaving tips...
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

I re-read this post...sorry "shaving" is mention once. But what a big inspiration for me to re-read!
Hugs to all who read this and be inspired. Everything is possible for us BPI-ERS!
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74 ...still learning from everyone who posts here

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:16 am.