Hi again from Kim & Dani

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kimba
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the proud Mama of an adult (20 years old) ROBPI daughter named Dani. She was delivered traumatically, with 1 1/2 severed nerves to her brachial plexus. She has had 2 surgeries over her lifetime. One at 11 months (sural nerve graft) and the 2nd one at 3 1/2 years old (resculpting humeral head in shoulder, latissumus & pectoral release and tendon transfer). She had both surgeries performed at BC Children's Hospital by Dr. Cynthia Verchere (Pediatric Plastic Surgeon) and the 2nd one by Dr. Christopher Reilly (Pediatric Orthapedic Surgeon). Her physiotherapist was Doria Bellows throughout her years of treatment. The Brachial Plexus Team in Vancouver is AMAZING.

Hi again from Kim & Dani

Post by Kimba »

Hi all...wow..it's been a very long tme for me. I took a couple years sabbatical for a bit of "mental health" reasons, and also to re-focus our lives somewhat...I started a brachial plexus support group in Western Canada after my daughter Dani was injured during her birth...I haven't been actively involved for the last 3 years as a number of things had happened that forced me to take on more than I could manage...so after some soul searching I walked away...a bit cowardly..but self preservation is costly sometimes. Dani has had 2 surgeries....both were a success in terms of where she was when she started.....I am very proud of the leaps and bounds she has taken. She's now 8 yrs old. She is playing ball and LOVES her horseback riding lessons. Her confidence level has improved greatly this year, compared to others. I almost feel like she's come to terms with how she perceives her capabilities and where she sets her own goals/limits. Anyway...just wanted to let all that I used to chat with, share sadnesses, triumphs, helpful hints ect, that I'm back. I'm a little bit more reserved in my involvement, as time allows...Looking forward to seeing familiar names, and meeting new ones. All the best...Kimba :>
Kim (Lane) Hale
Proud mama to my daughter Dani, 20 years old, ROBPI
(2 pediatric surgeries)
Previous creator/moderator of:
West Coast Erb's Palsy Support Group

"Go where you're celebrated!"~<3
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Hi again from Kim & Dani

Post by Kath »

Welcome back Kimba and thanks for sharing all of your good news.

I think we all need a rest from the intense stress that too much involvement can create in our lives. Glad you decided to come back...

I am robpi and a wife, mother, grandmother and now I must admit 65 but not the oldest obpi posting anymore... LOL...
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Kath....:>
Lenni

Post by Lenni »

Hi Kim and Dani!!! Great to hear from you again, it's been a long while. Hope to see you around more and maybe one day meet you and Dani also.

Lenni and Ashley........ from up the Coast in BC
Kimba
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the proud Mama of an adult (20 years old) ROBPI daughter named Dani. She was delivered traumatically, with 1 1/2 severed nerves to her brachial plexus. She has had 2 surgeries over her lifetime. One at 11 months (sural nerve graft) and the 2nd one at 3 1/2 years old (resculpting humeral head in shoulder, latissumus & pectoral release and tendon transfer). She had both surgeries performed at BC Children's Hospital by Dr. Cynthia Verchere (Pediatric Plastic Surgeon) and the 2nd one by Dr. Christopher Reilly (Pediatric Orthapedic Surgeon). Her physiotherapist was Doria Bellows throughout her years of treatment. The Brachial Plexus Team in Vancouver is AMAZING.

Post by Kimba »

Lenni & Ashley!..How are you?! I hope you are doing great...Do you ever come down to the mainland??..Let me know, and maybe we can hook up.:>..Kim
Kim (Lane) Hale
(2 pediatric surgeries)

Lenni

Post by Lenni »

Hiya again Kim...we do come down quite often, infact we were just there.......Ash had surgery with Dr. Reilly and recently Dr. Verchure removed a scar which is why we were there. My sis lives in Steveston so we are down at least every 2 months! I'll let ya know next time we're on our way. Ash would love to meet Dani as I would aslo....and you too!!! Lenni
Kimba

Post by Kimba »

Kath wrote: Fri May 13, 2005 8:26 am Welcome back Kimba and thanks for sharing all of your good news.

I think we all need a rest from the intense stress that too much involvement can create in our lives. Glad you decided to come back...

I am robpi and a wife, mother, grandmother and now I must admit 65 but not the oldest obpi posting anymore... LOL...
Kath
Thank you Kath!
I didn't see this reply until now, as I updated my profile and logged in today for the 1st time in years.
Hugs,
Kim
Kim (Lane) Hale
(2 pediatric surgeries)

Kimba

Post by Kimba »

Lenni wrote: Fri May 13, 2005 11:55 am Hi Kim and Dani!!! Great to hear from you again, it's been a long while. Hope to see you around more and maybe one day meet you and Dani also.

Lenni and Ashley........ from up the Coast in BC
Hi Lenni,
Long time!
How are You & Ashley doing?
Taking a peek into the forums to see what/who is new in terms of members, surgeries etc.
PM if you feel like chatting.

Kim
Kim (Lane) Hale
(2 pediatric surgeries)