AGE LIMIT FOR MOD QUAD

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

AGE LIMIT FOR MOD QUAD

Post by admin »

I know that primary should be done with a year of injury. But, is there a time limit for mod quad? How about a time- frame for best chances at progress. I am trying to get Javier to see Dr. Nath when he is in NJ in August. Does anyone know what I should have on hand as far as records and tests go?
JaimeC

Re: AGE LIMIT FOR MOD QUAD

Post by JaimeC »

I know they've done modquad's on teenagers and adults with great success. My son's modquad was at 2 1/2 and it helped tremendously too. As far as the "best" time to do it, who knows. I'd ask Dr. Nath that one. You can e-mail him. If Dr. Nath is visiting a picnic or something to evaluate kids, I don't think you need anything. He does a quick evaluation and gets the information from you as far as past surgeries. At least that's how he used to do it. Maybe someone knows differently now....
Jaime
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

Tyler had his mod quad done when he was 6 and we also know someone who had one in her 30's.
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

if you bring any copies of mri's, cat-scan's any reports from the PT Dr Nath will take them to refer back to when he goes back to Texas and evaluates the notes that he took that day, he will also take a picture of your child to remember what functioning he saw that day--good luck,
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

THANK YOU ALL. I was told that the normal time for mod quad is 1. But, I just think that is too soon after primary. Javier hasn't even made any progress yet. I would like to get at least anotheryear or so between operations.
thanks again
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My son had primary at 7 months and Mod at 14 1/2 months. At the time he was the youngest patient ever to have mod this early but Dr. Nath figured since we had moved to Texas to be close to my son' care he would watch him closely. My son made great strides and Dr. Nath was so impressed. He has not seen my son in three years but the last time we saw Dr. Nath he was really happy with my son's progress. We will get to see Dr. NAth in August when he comes to Illinois and am hoping to get a thumbs up....and no more surgeries needed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

P.S. My son hadn't made any progress yet either but I would do it all over again.....he looks great.
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Age limit?
I had the mod quad at age 47!

I wish I had done it much earlier, but I still saw gains.

Nancy
Mel4fitness

Post by Mel4fitness »

Hello,
I had surgery in March 2005 and I'm 33. Passively, I have gained. Actively, not much yet BUT I haven't used my limb in 33 years so I cannot expect overnight miracles, especially with the servere damage I have. :)

Melanie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Many of you know my little sister, Erica. Six years ago when she was 18, almost 19 she was evaluated by Dr. Nath. He told her she had one of the worst cases he had ever seen. MQ would not help her at all. (or any surgery for that matter) Please don't think you can wait for surgery because some people have had success at later ages. Each person is different.
Jillianne